TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Going to the Wood Shed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 5:47am
I'm not shocked at the cost considering the shop that's building it. They are also rebuilding the torque converter, which will have to be cut apart. Probably using quite a few new hard parts for the M-35, which are a bit pricey IF you can find them. Drums and such are almost non existent as NOS parts, but there area few out there... if you know where to look. And they are pricey. The only other choice is to get good used, which I bet that shop would only do as a last resort, but what most of us would do for a daily driver. Honestly that is fine, as the trannys only burn up/wear drums if they have been badly abused -- like run without the TV cable attached or the cable is stuck. I had a cable stick right after a rebuild. Shop rebuilt it again -- luckily I had a parts trans with a good rear drum. Owner let one of his techs rebuild it. He looked over the work, but forgot to check the cable, which wasn't seized but didn't move as easily as it should have. He covered it under warranty, took the parts trans and used the best parts from both to make a good one, and said he did most of the assembly himself that time. No issues...
Frank Swygert
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 8:46am
You're doin great with your car and resources, cannot wait to see it!
Blessings
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Seems like the money spent beefing up an M35 to handle a V8 would be better spent adapting a modern O/D transmission. Just my $.02 worth.

Cam I don't think he plans to run the M35 with a V-8!
From the first page!

Bottom line, I was really shocked by the rebuild cost of the M35. The
great news is that until I’m ready to swap the V8 in, I’ll have a
awesome running 6 with great shifting transmission. I’ll take pictures
of the package prior to installing it. At some point down the road it’ll
all be for sale.
The engine will look the part as well. I’m going all
out on the appearance. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nick
A.R. Headers

My bad… missed that.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

A.R. Headers View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 10:17am
Guys,

It'll have a Tremec 6 speed. Although I'm an automatic guy with all the race cars we've built over the years, after installing a Tremec in the PriuSRT8 and seen the fun it brings along with solid reliability, this Rambler will have a 6 Speed.

Nick
A.R. Headers
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 11:31am

Good move. I just put a Tremec T5 (from 2005-10 V6 Mustang) into my Opel GT and it's working out great.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:41am
$3k for a temporary 6 cylinder tranny? I have 4 parts cars with good trannys and altogether they cost less than that. Your money, your decision. I hope you have better luck selling it than I have had, I tried to give them away and ended up taking them to the scrap yard.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

$3k for a temporary 6 cylinder tranny? I have 4 parts cars with good trannys and altogether they cost less than that. Your money, your decision. I hope you have better luck selling it than I have had, I tried to give them away and ended up taking them to the scrap yard.

Perfectly reasonable reply,
but looking at the other builds Nick is involved in,
I'm sure the $3k to his trans guy is money well spent to not be sitting on the side of the road ankle deep in transmission fluid LOL

Different strokes for different folks,
$3k is more than I would spend, but it was the price for peace of mind to enjoy driving the Rambler with it's original six.

I've spent more and gotten less out of it once or twice myself. Cry

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I've spent more and gotten less out of it once or twice myself. Cry

Haven't we all!!!!!!! Part of the car game !!!!!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic