TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Going to set timing this morning.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 2:08pm
Sounds like you are getting there with the timing, Get the RPMs down to around 500. back the idle screw out( the one that goes to your gas pedal). and get the timing mark to settle in at "8" on the metering block on the engine. That is a good place to start. from there dial it in. 

Marc
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
TH_Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 2:27pm
Charlie Brown:  There are two screws on the base of the carburetor that I've been calling the idle screws.  I've included a photo of the carb itself, and circled one of the screws that I've been calling the "idle screws":

Are these screws on the base of the carburetor the idle screws ??  Or have I been assuming the wrong thing all along ??
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 2:29pm
Those are idle enrichment screws. You want one near the throttle arm that contacts it.
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 2:35pm
you are close to getting it dialed in , those are for setting your air fuel mixture. but RPMs first. you want to back out the one that connects to your gas pedal first. to bring down your RPMs.  Then screw the two screws in at the base all the way in (don't thighten them down, just until they stop) and back then out 1 1/2 turns. that should get you closer to a purring engine.

Marc
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 2:37pm
Very good info here !!  Thank you, I'll go out and see what happens here in just a few minutes.  My wife will probably be home soon, and I want to make lunch for her.  Thanks so much !

:D
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 4:03pm
Just remember, to change the idle speed, DO Not touch the 2 mixture screws in the front of the carburator.   The screw you want is the idle speed screw.   There are 2, the one is the fast idle one when the choke is on. That one you dont touch either.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 5:09pm
Okay, I got the timing set like I think it's supposed to be.  The line on the crankshaft pulley is now flashing at the "8" on the metering block.  I saw the two screws on the throttle, shown in this photo:

Only one of the screws touches anything, and that's the one on the right.  The other screw is just kinda sitting in there.  Shown in this next photo.

This photo was taken from the top of the carburetor, so the screw on "top" of this photo is the screw on the passenger side.  The screw on the "bottom" of this photo is on the drivers side, and, as you can see, is just sitting in there, not attached to anything.  I'm gathering that either some parts or missing, or the screw is not adjusted properly.

With the timing line on the number 8 of the metering block, the idle is super sweet, but the car only wants to go about 10-15 miles an hour, tops.  If you hit the accelerator pretty hard, it'll speed up, but is very sluggish.

So is the vacuum advance the culprit now ??  Or does the idle timing still need to be moved ??
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 5:35pm
Bottom pic, top screw is for your fast idle for when the choke is closed to opening. See how it's a cam? You have to adjust your idle with the choke complete open.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH_Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 5:39pm
nda racer:  So if (in the bottom pic) the top screw is for the fast idle (for when the choke is closed), is the other screw (the bottom screw in the bottom pic) supposed to be attached to or touching something ??

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 5:41pm
Ok, the "top" screw is your Fast idle screw. No touchy. The "bottom"one is the screw to back off to lower your rpms. Let the car warm up. see if the fast idle cam (that the "top" screw follows) totaly "kicks"down and is resting on the "bottom" screw. back that one off until you get your 500 rpms. It sounds like your choke is not set and not letting your car idle down (the black round thing on the other side of the carb).

To get your choke to "normal" lossen the three small bolts that hold in in place. and match the line on the choke to the middle line on the carb body. There should be an arrow pointing to it.

now for the 10 -15 MPH problem, the two screws that you pointed out at the base of the carb need fine adjustment. Get the car to idle, and then turn one screw at a time 1/4 turn in until the car wants to stumble or die. Stop at that point and back out that screw 1/2 turn. do the same for the other one.

now for your timing. I have never delt with a HEI. but it shold be similar to setting timing a regular dizzy. warmed up car, disconnect the vacuum advance from the dizzy. plug it until you got the timing set. once you get that set put it back on.

it should purr like a large kitten.

if I have forgoten something please chime in, me not a expert, just to many nights with a finiky 258.

Marc
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic