TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

go pack gauge scans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: go pack gauge scans
    Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 11:23pm
hey guys, i'm pretty sure that i know the answer to this, but it's always worth the time to ask.  has anyone ever done a high resolution scan of the faces of a go pack gauge set?? or have a set broken down enough that they could get a set of high resolution scans done and would be willing to do so???

the reason i'm wondering is i can't afford to pay more for a set of gauges than i did for my car at this point. lol. and my car will probably never be a full restoration car. but what i'm thinking i can do if i can get a good scan of the faces. i can take a base cluster and a set of aftermarket gauges and make a go pack cluster. at least a visually really close approximation of one. and for me right now, looking right but not being right is close enough for me. maybe in the future this might not be the case.

the idea is to take apart the aftermarket gauges and mod them into the base cluster at the correct positions and alignments. then using the scanned faces, go to a vinyl printer shop and have some new vinyl faces made. then apply the new faces over the base faces put the needles back on the gauges and reassemble the gauge cluster. and install in the car. 

now i know that the purists out there are have a stroke and a heart attack right now. and i can understand. but this would be a fix for me so i can have a better set of gauges in the car, so i can tell what it's doing at all times. instead of hoping an idiot light comes on before the car can commit suicide. and still have an original look, without aftermarket gauges screwed to every surface of the dash just so i can tell what the car is doing, then i can save up for an actual set. 

i mean lets face it. these clusters were in limited supplies to begin with. now add 40+ years. and a lot of them are starting to break down, and cost a fortune to get rebuilt. and that's if you can find someone that can repair them the right way. so this might also offer some folks a way to replace gauges with newer ones and keep it looking stock. while opening up some of the original ones to those that have to have the real deals in their cars.

so if any one has a set scanned in, or can do it for me. please post them here, or let me know and we'll figure out some way to make this happen. or if you have a set of faces that you would be willing to sell cheapishly, or can let me borrow to get scans done and return to you. let me know.

thanks guys.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:02am
Why not contact D&M Restorations in Greenville,SC.  He does great work. He maybe able to silk screen your supplied gauge faces.  Look him up.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 7:51am
There are places here in st. Louis that can reproduce a set. I just need a good scan or a set of bad ones that have the bezel.
petter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 11:56am
Hi

I'm not sure if this guy is still in here but he have made the scan what you asks for (i believe)
http://theamcforum.com/forum/convert-standard-gauges-to-rally-pack_topic59475_page1.html

I have also seen someone that sold go pack overlay label kit on Ebay, a bit pricey but they looked nice

Best regards
Peter
Peter Olsson
Javelin 1971
Saab 9-3 Aero 2008
Bmw 528 Touring 1999
Volvo C70 convertible 2001
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by petter petter wrote:

Hi

I'm not sure if this guy is still in here but he have made the scan what you asks for (i believe)
http://theamcforum.com/forum/convert-standard-gauges-to-rally-pack_topic59475_page1.html

I have also seen someone that sold go pack overlay label kit on Ebay, a bit pricey but they looked nice

Best regards
Peter

Did not know this thread was made until now... i posted near the end on my modded gauges, and was not sure if the link posted was about my reply or the one made by the op. Since the original thread has broken links to photobucket, i assume you may have pointed to my pictures as reference.

It's been over 10 years since I started with gauge mods, and don't have my original scans available now. Won't be doing any soon, until I find a reason to make an adjustment to my measurement scales. If you notice the speedo gauge is bigger than stock, as it needed to be large enough for the higher readings required for a magnetic pickup adjustable range speedometer.

I used a cad app to reproduce the speedometer face, using a modified Arial typeface. Also the similar type face was done for the gauges. Note I had no plans for the ammeter, and cut the needle on a fuel /temprature gauge to function as a voltmeter when used with an adjustable voltage divider circuit in place.

I also modded my weather eye panel, as it was moisture bubbled. Looks almost stock, mostly due to added switch position markers, which the factory face did not have.

The trouble with having a good scan, is the face plates are not flat on the glass. So in order to scan perfectly, you must cut the edges off of the faces so they lay flat. If reproducing the look, no scan is necessary, just take a picture and scale it, then use it as a cad raster overlay to draw your vectors.

Like another post, just search ebay for decals. That will do for getting the look you need.

To make an oil gauge you will need a spare fuel gauge, and cut the needle to fit the smaller radius of the scale.

The Ammeter is something hard to obtain now... i sold my last one a year or so back, for a guy with a burnt out one.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 4:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic