TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gimme a hint...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornelius Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gimme a hint...
    Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:28pm
Trying to remove the LH header in my '69 AMX. I pulled the steering box to be rebuilt a little later. But the steering shaft is still in the way. I've separated the 2 halves of 2-piece shafts dozens of times on '68 and up Cougars and Mustangs but never had this much trouble. Torching it maybe...?

Thanks, as always, in advance.
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 8:09pm
What size and brand hdr. 
Remove clutch cross shaft, auto linkage should clear.
Remove from bottom,  easy side. (This is for left side drive)
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 8:15pm
The shaft will collapse into the column if you whack it a few times. But if that's not enough it's easy to pull the column.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Cornelius Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornelius Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by mark09 mark09 wrote:

What size and brand hdr. 
Remove clutch cross shaft, auto linkage should clear.
Remove from bottom,  easy side. (This is for left side drive)

They're full-length Hedman. If the steering shaft isn't in the way, they'll easily come out the top. to remove them from the bottom will require the removal of the oil dipstick tube.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 7:06am
Exactly. You can then revise the dipstick tube to a two-piece arrangement that comes apart closer to the block so it's easier to take out in the future.

I have a pic around here of how I got mine out last time using a cheap tubing flare clamp to grab it. I'll see if I can dig that up.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 7:18am
Here it is. Clamp that thing on there and then drive it upward with a hammer and a long punch.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 8:52am
Should've remembered the tube, way  back in the day we cut the flange 1/2 inch , makes install/removal easy. Don't have  to mess with tube, (newer tubes don't fit well without messaging. ) Header flange will "spring " but start rear tube inner bolt than front 3 tube flange section easy peasy.
Old racing tip 
mark
CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 8:54am
Unbolt the trans from the mount and use your leg to push the trans over enough to remove the header
Cornelius Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornelius Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 2:21pm
The header is out! But it came at a price...

I went ahead and removed the dipstick tube which, of course, broke off after coming about a 1/4" out of the block. Oh well...On to the RH side!

Thanks for all the replies. Stay safe out there!
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 2:29pm
Good luck getting a replacement tube that fits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic