TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Getting ready for tires - Coker or Diamond Back?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Getting ready for tires - Coker or Diamond Back?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting ready for tires - Coker or Diamond Back?
    Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 9:44pm

I'm restoring my '69 BBO AMX as close to original as possible, but there are a couple places where I'm not willing to go back to 1969 no matter how many points it costs me at car shows.  One of those is tires. I have no interest in going back to bias ply.  Maybe at some point I'll have an extra set of wheels and bias ply tires just for shows, but I can't afford to do that right now.

As I understand it, Coker and DB are my two primary choices for red-stripe radials.  It looks to me that Coker reproduces the mid-70s BF Goodrich TA radial while the DB III is a modern BFG T/A with red-stripes added.  Does that sound right?

The price is close to the same, so it seems to me that the DB III might offer better handling than the 70s Coker tire.  Not only that, modern tires seem to have better ride, traction, less vibration and lower rolling resistance than tires of the 70s, not that the latter will matter much in a 390 and a 3.54 rear diff.

Anyone have opinions on this?  Thanks in advance!

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 11:07pm
I bought Cokers from Summit, Silvertown redline radials. Best price I found. 9 dollars per tire shipping.
1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
Concours dude View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concours dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 11:25pm
Coker shows up at many large swap meets.  If you check it out and order early, you may be able to pick up your order at a swap meet without paying for shipping. I saved $100 this year by picking up at Portland. Smile
Past owned:
62 Classic 400
1976 Hornet
65 440 H
61 Amb
59 Classic wagon
55 Ambassador Sedan
54 Ambassador Country Club
AMCRC #1929
AMO #10029
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2014 at 4:00pm
I'd strongly recommend Diamond Back. I had Coker Classic red line radials on my 69 AMX and I never was happy with them. They never had very good traction and the car would track crooked no matter how I positioned them. In one orientation it would track right, switch the tires around and it would track to the left. Alignment was spot on and checked several times. The tires wouldn't even balance out properly. This spring on my way to the east coast AMC meet at Mason Dixon the left rear tire started vibrating badly. I pulled over and the tread was all twisted and lumpy. The signs of a shifted or broken belt I'm told.

I've heard good things about Diamond Back ( except for prices ) so I contacted them and had them make a set of 4 Michelin 205 70R 14 radials with the proper red stripe. They are perfect! They look excellent and the car rides great and tracks straight as an arrow.

I still have the Michelin Wide X 70 series radials that I put on the OEM rally wheels back in 1976. While these had hardened up over the years, which is the reason I ordered the Cokers, these almost 40 year old tires still track straight and true.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2014 at 11:47pm
Thanks George! I'd pretty much decided to go with DB already, and you just confirmed to me that that's the right decision.

Edited by CamJam - Nov/01/2014 at 11:50pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 10:44pm
Diamond Back! NO COKER! MANY of my friends have had MANY issues with COKER. Don't go there. Our Diamond Backs are a TOP NOTCH tire. We service our tires and alignments at a classic car garage and the guys say 'DIAMOND BACKS' ALL THE WAY. They are just a better quality and a cinch to mount, balance and wear are phenominal!
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic