TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Getting enough air flow for AC!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2017 at 7:55am
I have checked this thread a few times to see how things go, are going.

The only improvement from Taurus vs Contour is fitment. Having a shroud that covers and incloses the fin area without leaving gaps for free air to be pulled.

Multiple speed fans can be a bonus over single speed, but it's about cooling efficiency of the radiator. Small radiators need a bit extra CFM to force heat away. Unfortunately depending on surface area restriction of the fin openings, air flow may not come close to fans CFM capabilities.

Our Honda Accord has two single speed fans. Low speed for minor cool down and AC, and high speed for fully warmed up temperature stability.

In humid areas above 100°F while idling with AC on, radiator temps climb to very hot. Being that, a pusher fan may be required, or a higher CFM rated fan. Swapping the multi speed fan from the Taurus may help, but will require extra wiring if not already using such a setup.

Another option is thermostat. A lower rated one may help. 180 degrees would be a starter.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/07/2017 at 8:02am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I scored a Contour fan set yesterday! I don't think they are any larger diameter than the fans I run now, but they probably pull more air anyway. I had a 16" aftermarket fan before I got the Taurus fan in my non-AC car -- the Taurus fan is about the same size and pulled a LOT more air. Will give that a try before going to another pusher fan. 
I just bought a new contour dual fan off ebay, to convert the Javelin, with 2spd motors. I would wire yours so they are on high/full spd when ac is on.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:32am
What I'm planning to do is wire the low speed to turn on with AC and one temp controller, the high speed to come on with a second controller set about 10 degrees higher.

Are BOTH your fan motors three wire? Only one of mine has three wires, the other only two. That makes me think only one is a two speed. Came from a 1999 24 valve Contour.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:45am
Farna, they come with 1 low speed and the other is 2 speed.

If yours is pulled from a wrecker, there should be a resistor box mounted to the bottom corner near the two speed fan.

If new replacement you may need to order a F5RZ8L603AC resistor for controlling the two speed fan. If adding an extra 2 speed fan, one would have to make provisions to use another resistor box.

The 2 speed fan is a misnomer, it Is actually a high speed fan. The resistor controls a low speed via relay. Very simple to wire up as it runs a two wire connector, not a three.

There are some ebay fans that have the resistor installed, but half are sold without, even though one may be cheaper. The cost of the resistor is about $12.00

The connector is $10.00

The two speed relay is wired so that when no signal is sent to the switched input, the output is directly connected to the resistor, and operate in low speed. When a high signal is sent to the relay, the output is switched to 12v. I assume the resistor is tied high with the 12v used in switching with the fan's high speed connection.

Low speed fan should kick in with A/C enabled.

High / Low should be with engine temps ranges.

I am thinking of setting up dual temp switches. One set at normal operating temp.

Can use the signal to enable the 2 speed relay. When warm, relay is operational, and low speed is on constantly, until hot.

Then, the secondary adjustable switch (set at 195) to override by enabling high speed. Very simple no need to use a controller.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/19/2017 at 9:03am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 5:57pm
My new contour fans have 3 wires for each motor, like the tarus fan motor. It also has a new resistor.I also ordered 14mmx1.5 bungs to weld into the radiator so the switch will be in the rad tank, much like most factory installed.

Edited by 73hornut - Sep/19/2017 at 6:00pm
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 6:09pm
I have mine both wired to high and I use this controller https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessories/electric-fan-controllers/flex-a-lite-variable-speed-controller.html on it. My trinary switch is wired to it so it knows to kick up the speed if the A/C is calling for fans. No big load on the electrical system when they come on either.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 10:10am
So it seems there are two versions, one with two two speed fans and one with a two speed and a single speed. Will have to see how the single speed pulls. I may just bypass the resistor and run the one on high al the time, the other on low... or whatever speed it is. Would have preferred a pair of two speed fans though. Mine came from a 1999 model. Maybe later ones have the pair of two speed, or depends on options? I know mine was the 24 valve (four valve per cylinder V-6) model. Didn't get engine size.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 10:32am
Did some searching for you on some specifics.

Seems like many put the I4 dual fan setup in as 2.5 V6 in the specs. Looks the same but is not.

The only way to be sure is to pull one yourself or look specifically to its fitment.

The connector keeps it from being plug and play with an I4 if it is a 3 prong connector, and visa - versa.

So if looking at specifics, It should state 2.5L V6 from 2000 down. No I4 should be listed.

Now that I know better... I will keep that info on my list for when I make a purchase.

It will also need further contemplation on how to set the fans, as there are 4 options on operation.
Off, single low, dual low, low + high, and dual high.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic