TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

To paint or not to paint...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2019 at 3:35pm
My 69 Rambler was a project - looked nothing like your beauty.  It had some holes and bondo, and other creativity in it.  I wanted it done once and right so I popped for the full monte.  Took it down to the skivees and had all the metal work done and painted a two stage paint.  Lot's of $ - but I now know what I have and it's one and done.  I found the guys that I think are the best in town and they only work on 3-4 cars at a time.  4 total months from start to finish.

Regarding your car, it looks very nice.  I would touch up and cut and buff.  It will be awesome.  Then drive it like the wind!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 3:48am
Unless you want a show car, I tend towards not painting.
Dead money. It won't drive any better.
And when you want to work on it, you have to use fender guards.
Every little scratch will be an upset.

Was once in the TR Register (Triumph TR2 thru-6). There was a chap had a well-worn TR3 he used a lot, then he spent a ton of time and money on a restoration. 
I recall him saying afterwards that he enjoyed the car much more before it was restored.

If it were just getting the dings done, I'd deal with that surface rust myself. Rust killer, high-zinc primer. Seen too many cars where the rust came back under a shiny paint job.

Ivor

63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic