TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

EBC brake pads for 79 Concord

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EBC brake pads for 79 Concord
    Posted: May/02/2019 at 11:47pm
Anyone ever put ebc pads on a Concord? 
Cant seem to find a part number. 
Would like to get cryogenically treated slotted rotors as well. Again the interweb has let me down. 
Would 1976 hornet brake pads be the same?
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 1:46am
call C H Topping in Long Beach. their website is backwards, but they are not. sharp knowledgeable and will definitely know what's available. i re-shod my hacked up 61 american roadster with EE pads front and rear.

is there a reason specifically EBC brand? or are you just looking for better (grippier, whatever) pads? i'd ask them for advice on what your goal is.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 7:20am
76 pads would not be the same as Concord.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2019 at 11:13pm
plan is a spirited daily driver. 
with a mild cam, header, intake 360 and a 5 speed conversion planned, i wanted brakes with more bite than the jobber quality ones in the parts store. 
plus people drive with their heads in their phones out here, so as much as i want to hit them, i try to refrain
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 7:43am
FWYI I used yellow stuff pads with Viper Brembo's on my 70 Challenger. Not so good for daily driving. They worked great when they got hot, not so much when cold. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 9:31pm
that's why i asked... talk to C H Topping or other good agnostic brake folk. a lot of highly-rated pads require the high temps generated on-track to grip well. it's a complicated compromise.

i got EE-edge coded pads, they're great. they work well cold and in a few weeks, i'll see how they work when hot (sports car tour coming up).  they were not cheap.

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 11:41am
Porterfield can also make custom pads and shoes. I highly recommend getting better rear shoes as well as front pads.

If you decide to end up going the cheap route, NAPA has the least bad parts-store branded pads and shoes in my experience. Do not get your pads and shoes from the AutoZone or other discount parts-stores, even their "high-end" brake frictions are terrible.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 12:56pm
Speaking of not cheap, Carbotech will make custom brake pads. They have compounds that are supposed to be good for cold and hot use (autocross). They have a good reputation as a premium track car supplier.

Carbotechbrakes.com
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:21pm
of course you know that the stock brakes in top shape, even without 'performance' pads etc, are more than adequate for hard driving. that wasn't true for 60's drum cars, but for the disc cars it is.

i installed what i hoped were grippier pads -- along with a smaller bore master cyl -- because my homemade, all manual all disc system has very high pedal pressure. its better now, but tbh, it's all due to the smaller bore master. i went from 1" to 7/8" and should have got smaller, to 3/4". but it's 'good enough' now.

i ran oversized (sic) Gremlin 9 x 2.5 drums in my 63 American, drove that car very hard down many mountain and desert roads at unreasonable speeds and those were just fine with zero heat fade. the fronts were modified for ventilation which makes all the difference in the world. and just in top-notch condition with parts from RockAuto. 

with few and rare exceptions, all of the oversized Brembo nonsense is strictly for looks and bragging rights.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic