TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

wiper wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiper wiring
    Posted: Apr/06/2019 at 11:23pm
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a wiper transmission for a '72 Javelin?  that sliver of material that bridges one side to the other with the blue wire mount has broken and the wire and the copper tab from the inside has come out.  Id like to see if its repairable at home before I look into replacement or sending it off somewere.  I guess I dont have enough post yet to post a picture.

I also got shorted on the printed copy of the TSM from the PO and I dont have any wiring diagrams.  I have the pictures of the harnesses, but thats the last page.  Im trying to figure out how the idiot lights work in conjunction with the gauges (alt-oil-fuel) or do they?

Thanks
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 12:37am
No warning lights on the oil or temp if you have factory gauges..

The first part of your post is confusing, sorry I don't know what you mean on that, but usually you can re-solder those broken connections..
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 2:38pm
Hey, 
Thanks for the reply, Walt.  Heres a pict. of what i'm talking about on the wiper motor.  I guess I can just undo the screws and pop the cap off of the transmission without it springing parts out everywhere.  The wipers work, but only on one slow speed and no park.

Were the idiot lights deleted from the harness if you had gauges, or just left in place and not wired up? My dash has the lights and they have bulbs behind them, but I've yet to trace where they are fed from.  I'm trying to figure out how much of whats on this SST that is factory/dealer add on's and what a PO has added to turn this into a AMX clone.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 3:18pm
I hope this picture helps.
Tom

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a wiper transmission for a '72 Javelin?  that sliver of material that bridges one side to the other with the blue wire mount has broken and the wire and the copper tab from the inside has come out.  Id like to see if its repairable at home before I look into replacement or sending it off somewere.  I guess I dont have enough post yet to post a picture.

I also got shorted on the printed copy of the TSM from the PO and I dont have any wiring diagrams.  I have the pictures of the harnesses, but thats the last page.  Im trying to figure out how the idiot lights work in conjunction with the gauges (alt-oil-fuel) or do they?

Thanks

NOT repairable. That's the park switch. There's a rocker piece, a cam and a pair of contacts in there. It's a pretty fragile switch inside. I suppose if you have a couple of hours and some patience, riveting tools, soldering tools, etc............. you could devise a solution.

Here is a photo of the inside - and a photo of one I cleaned and replated with clear zinc for a wiper motor I'm restoring.

That switch controls the park function on prestolite wipers.
Red to red motor wire
Yellow to yellow motor wire
black to black motor wire
blue to outer park switch terminal
both green motor wires to inner park switch terminal

that switch has to be put back in a specific way to line the cam pin up with the tabs on the gear properly

CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 5:24pm
Bingo!  Do the contacts touch each other?  it looks like the eccentric spins and pushes on  the side flange of the contacts?  so they bend out of the way and break contact with each other when the wipers are in the parked position and if the switch is off they stay there?  i'll have to find some kind of non-conductive material to reattach the two contact leads to and maybe tap those rivets for small screws.

Thanks!
CharClap
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:26pm
That larger cam turns and contacts the smaller nylon part that has a ramp. Normally the park switch contacts are closed during wiper operation. When you switch wipers off, the wiper dash switch cuts power to the motor normal wiring and makes contact with the blue wire. This reverses the motor and parks the wipers - during the park process the cam reverses and hits the smaller nylon piece and turns it so that the contact on the ramp lowers away from the other contact.
When you turn the wipers on again the motor turns the normal direction and the cam moves the rotating ramp forcing the contact up against the stationary contact, closing the park switch so that when you turn the wipers off, park operates the motor the opposite direction, parks the wipers and the cam again turns the small nylon ramp causing the lower movable contact to move downward and away from the stationary contact. 

Looking at my top photo, the insides of the park mechanism or switch, the contact on the left is stationary, the contact on the right, runs on the small nylon ramp and moves up to the upper contact to close the park switch, or down away, opening it and ending the park operation.
that's why the contact on the right has sort of wings - so it can ride up and down the ramp - moving toward you, the viewer, or away and closer to the cover away from the top contact.

Plexiglas and pop-rivets? The rivets make the outer solder lugs have electrical and physical contact with the inside switch contacts.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:48pm
Ahh,   I see how it works now.  Maybe I can find an old fuze panel and cut a piece out of that - or the plexi, or some type of plastic that will take the heat.  Guess the hard part will be the rivet replacement. 

Thanks for the help.  Time to break out the screw drivers and see what kind of trouble I can get into.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic