TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Glue On Oil Pump Midplate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 9:55am
Its a bulltear plate but Im going to use copper coat between midplate and filter housing.  So it'll be fine.  
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 11:24am
On a metal to metal surface like that, You're better off using an anaerobic sealer like this instead. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the tip!  I'll get some of that stuff.  
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 4:52pm
Photo of my latest filter bypass block, this time on a later (1977) housing with the better angled oil passage.  Also changed to a later filter adapter so I'll use a modern filter with bypass and anti drainback valve. This is the one I'll be using.  
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 6:32am
Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

Ah!  I see the problem now.  I didnt get the correct gasket for below the midplate.  Its supposed to be solid under the gears.  Here is the photo from Bulltear.  

The second gasket between the plate and the filter adapter is not necessary.  If you think you need a gasket there, you can use another one like the one at the bottom of the picture. Those pictured are .007" thick gaskets.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 11:45am

SOME HOT SHOT KNOW IT ALL PUT THE GASKET ON THE WRONG SIDE SO WE HAVE BEEN SENDING THEM OUT WITH THE SAME GASKET FOR BOTH SIDES FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS. 8 YEARS NOW...I HATE EXPLAINING IT BECAUSE THE GUY WAS SOME HOT SHOT AMC KNOW IT ALL ENGINE BUILDER.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

Ah!  I see the problem now.  I didnt get the correct gasket for below the midplate.  Its supposed to be solid under the gears.  Here is the photo from Bulltear.  

The second gasket between the plate and the filter adapter is not necessary.  If you think you need a gasket there, you can use another one like the one at the bottom of the picture. Those pictured are .007" thick gaskets.

Well yes and no. If you do not SEAL the midplate evenly or correctly it will give you leaks or potentially run on your gears.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic