TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converting 70 4 spd to auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting 70 4 spd to auto
    Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 8:22am
I am working on a 70 390 Javelin - originally a 4 speed car.   I have an autistic son that drives - but cannot master shifting a standard.   I want to convert this car to an auto so he can possibly drive it to shows.  1 questions I have - can this be done without cutting the floor plan?  I have access to a 70 390 Jav parts car that has all the auto components still in it.   Though not a real concern - how would this affect the sale of this car down the road - if I keep all the original 4 speed parts to go with the car?   Thanks for any help/advice welcome - JJ
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 11:03am
If you change it to an automatic,  Keep all the 4 spd stuff for down the road.....
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 5:13pm
John,

If you convert to automatic from 4 speed, both floor shift......the floor hole is slightly bigger for the shifter, but just make it fit, save the trimmed piece to be welded back in.  Just but a plate on the firewall where the 4 speed push rod goes through and swap everything else over..........easy conversion.  The harness already has the provisions for kick down at gas pedal and neutral safety/back up harness from console.

If you run into specific problems just PM me....

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 5:41pm
Thanks guys - I got into the hobby because I love the cars but also to provide opportunities for my son to get additional social interaction experiences.   I am excited that he is now expressing interest in his own car.  I have a parts car I purchased to help with my TA restoration.  I just got it painted my sons favorite color - blue.  In this case Bayshore Blue.  Thanks again / JJ

Edited by SANCAPJJ - Mar/21/2019 at 5:44pm
MK1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2019 at 11:31am
We converted from auto to 4 speed, seemed much easier due to leaky auto.  We kept all the parts in case we wanted to go back.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2019 at 1:12pm
Boy, I'd probably want to convert it to an AMC '72 & Up Torque Command 727 or 904 or 998
BUT that would require the Bolt-In Crank Adapter and Block / Trans Spacer
that can be a little hard to find... But more stuff available for the TF Trans
than for the '71 and earlier AMC Borg Warner Auto Transmissions...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by SANCAPJJ SANCAPJJ wrote:

Thanks guys - I got into the hobby because I love the cars but also to provide opportunities for my son to get additional social interaction experiences.   I am excited that he is now expressing interest in his own car.  I have a parts car I purchased to help with my TA restoration.  I just got it painted my sons favorite color - blue.  In this case Bayshore Blue.  Thanks again / JJ
Glad to hear your son is enjoying the car.   I have a nephew that is Autistic......so I understand 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic