TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Epoxy over factory paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy over factory paint
    Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 11:47pm
On the can of my epoxy primer (SPI) it says you can shoot over "activated enamel" paints but not unactivated enamel. It also says you can shoot over lacquer.

My car is a 66 classic. My plan was to sand it down to the original paint/ primer and shoot my epoxy sealer over that. The car had one previous repaint in the past.

Has anyone had a problem with the factory paint lifting or wrinkling when you shoot epoxy or urethane?

I don't want to spend all the time sanding it and prepping it and then finding out I gotta strip it.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 6:09am
Probably no problem with the factory baked acrylic enamel,  but there could be problems with the repaint.

And just pilling paint on top of paint is no way to get durability.

You're just wasting that epoxy if a layer under it doesn't as good a adhesion  as it does.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Dkindle1207 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkindle1207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 6:59am
You'll probably be alright. But personally I'd take it all the way down, Id just wanna know that's not gonna be a problem a few years down the road. 
Don
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 7:21am
When I sand I  go to factory paint and primer. I remove anything on top of that. Never had an issue with any urethane or epoxy primers on top of factory paint. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Probably no problem with the factory baked acrylic enamel,  but there could be problems with the repaint.

And just pilling paint on top of paint is no way to get durability.

You're just wasting that epoxy if a layer under it doesn't as good a adhesion  as it does.

I am sanding all of the repaint off with my DA leaving a very thin coat of factory primer/ paint. The repaint is a slightly different shade so I can see when I've gone through it. The doors and fenders were dipped so are all bare steel already. I'm really just working with the body of the car, deck lid, and hood. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic