TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle 258 with oil soaked air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 6:14pm
Replaced the valve cover gasket and found the PCV breather now builds a vacuum when plugged with a thumb and does so even harder with a hard engine rev. I guess it really was just a really badly leaking valve cover gasket.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 1:25am
Yeah, that'll do it. The crankcase needs to seal for the PCV to work. Otherwise it might as well not be there at all. It's very bad for the engine to run with a leaking valve cover. Some of the problems it causes other than making a mess of the engine and air cleaner:

1. Reduced PCV effectiveness lets the crankcase fill with blow-by rather than sucking it out and replacing it with clean air. The blow-by turns the oil acidic or forms sludge.

2. The leaking gasket creates a direct path for dirty outside air to be drawn into the crankcase rather than only clean, filtered air from the breather. This grit goes to work on the rings and cylinder walls.

How big of a difference does it make? Tons. My first AMC six had so much cylinder wear at 116,000 miles that it needed a .040" overbore at that time. My second AMC six had so little cylinder wear at 167,000 miles that it's just got a hone and new rings at that time and is still running as strong as ever to this day on it's original bore and pistons. The difference? Valve cover sealing and breather filter maintenance.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2019 at 8:14pm
Nah, it's still doing it.

So after the last PCV filter change I wiped down the air cleaner and removed all residual oil, except the oil contaminated filter because I did not want to ruin another filter if I was possibly wrong.
Two weeks later:

It's not the PCV. There's no oil around the breather filter and the filter is still clean. The oil slick indicates that it is coming from somewhere within the clean side of the filter element. I'd immediately blame the filter itself but that's an awful lot of oil.
The vehicle does not have issues with backfiring, nor did the compression test indicate an obvious stuck intake valve. There is also no excessive oil consumption either.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2019 at 10:10am
I believe the oil film you see in the pics came out of the old oil soaked air filter. Everything else looks good, so I expect if you swap in a new filter that should wrap this up.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2019 at 11:22pm
Okay, I'll swap out the cleaner element and replace the breather element as well.
For those wondering if I'm just buying new PCV filters each time, no. I'm cutting small rectangular chunks from a roll of white open-cell foam padding and repacking the original FRAM filter cartridge.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 1:07am
Yeah that's probably just from the soaked filter.

Make sure the inner vacuum door of the air cleaner is open any time the engine is running and that the vacuum delay valve holds it open for a while even after the engine is shut off. Make sure the outer vacuum door is open after the engine is fully warmed up.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 9:24am
When I was doing maintenance yesterday I replaced all the vacuum lines for both doors and verified the TAC valve and both actuators were working.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic