TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Center Cap Retainers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcsst72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

AMC, Chrysler, GM, and Ford all used similar Magnum 500s. The GM ones had different bolt patterns, but used the same style centre cap.

I used the Goodmark centre caps on my 69 Javelin. A propane torch was all I needed to soften the glue and remove the "SS" emblems. I honestly can't remember if I used Goodmark retainers or the OE AMC retainers. (actually, my 500s were Mopar since they have bright spokes, so the retainers may have been Mopar) The mounting screws were no big deal. I either used OE hardware or hardware store screws. This is not rocket science

Thanks for the Feedback!  Yeah, I knew all the Magnum 500's were similar. Ford, Chrysler, AMC all having the same 5x4.5 pattern whereas GM was a 5x4.75 pattern.  I just wasnt sure if the retainers were the same size or not being that is all I need.  I ordered some GM retainers for a 69 Camaro SS and will see if those work.  I'll post back here on the outcome.  The GM retainers are about 20 bucks cheaper than a set of Mopar  ones after shipping costs and a little more readily available.  It's good to know that the Mopar ones will work though.  Thank You bigbad69. Smile
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 3:13pm
Subscribed... I too would like to know, because I like the shorter look of the SS caps over the taller mopar caps I have.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
amcsst72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcsst72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by JolleyGreenSST JolleyGreenSST wrote:

Subscribed... I too would like to know, because I like the shorter look of the SS caps over the taller mopar caps I have.

I just got the Chevy "SS" Retainer Caps in yesterday to try.  The ones I purchased are made by Dynacorn pn M1345.  I bought these off of ebay for $10 each.  They are indeed a perfect match for the Magnum 500's and the AMC Center Caps so I dont see any reason you couldn't use the "SS" retainers and Caps.  Especially since bigbad69 used the "SS" caps on his.  The Chevy "SS" retainers are just more readily available and cheaper.  Hope this helps!Smile
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by amcsst72 amcsst72 wrote:

I just got the Chevy "SS" Retainer Caps in yesterday to try.  The ones I purchased are made by Dynacorn pn M1345.  I bought these off of ebay for $10 each.  They are indeed a perfect match for the Magnum 500's and the AMC Center Caps so I dont see any reason you couldn't use the "SS" retainers and Caps.  Especially since bigbad69 used the "SS" caps on his.  The Chevy "SS" retainers are just more readily available and cheaper.  Hope this helps!Smile
Yes, the Dynacorn parts bolt on, but are they correct? They have have the shallow lip, and I have have read proper AMC caps have a deeper lip. The pitted AMC caps that came with my car had the shallow lips as well, so I don't know what is correct. Confused

This is a concours detail. If you're not into concours shows, then the Dyncorn caps are a no-brainer. Heat the back side of the cap to soften the glue, remove the SS label, glue the AMC label in its plce.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 9:51pm
Thanks for the info guys, I'm probably going to order the SS center caps on ebay. I found a guy selling them for $74.95 a set with retainers and bolts, I can't pass for that price. I'm going to try to make a custom decal for the centers if I can.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 6:15pm
I actually found a better deal without decals so there ready for us to put what we want in the center and for only $55 here is the link...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic