TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Newbie here needs advice on recent purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 2:15pm
As to your original post, if the previous owner was replacing the timing cover, make sure it's not one of the OMIX/ADA chinese replacements. These look nice and are cheap enough, but there are lots of horror stories about improperly located distributor drive gears grinding themselves to oblivion in just a few miles. Better off to find a decent used AMC timing cover. Others can chime in on other aftermarket options, but I'd stay away from the OMIX brand.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
FREDMAXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREDMAXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 8:13pm
Thanks everyone. All great information for sure.

Edited by FREDMAXX - Feb/01/2019 at 8:16pm
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by FREDMAXX FREDMAXX wrote:

So my question is, do you suggest removing the present motor and rebuilding it or buying another motor to swap in?

I'd go for door #3.  Put the motor back together as is, run it for a while, then take a compression check and make a decision where to go.  I'd never trust a compression check on a motor that has been sitting for a while.
I agree 100%....I have seen engines with 70lbs of compression run smooth(I`m sure there was some power loss)I would put it back together and run it a while (several hours) and check the compression again....Drive it and enjoy it...you will know when its ready for a rebuild 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
FREDMAXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREDMAXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 10:28am
Okay Gang, I listened to all the input from everyone. I finally got it running, but it ran like crap. All kinds of lifter noise, etc. Long story short, my brother, nephew and I ended up tearing it down. I was very glad I did. Once we got into it, it was very obvious there was some “issues” with this motor. I immediately dropped it off at a Machine Shop and am waiting for their results. Thanks again. No pics as I am still unable to post them.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2019 at 8:48am
Well, just costs a little time to get it running and find out for sure there were issues. As noted the heads usually go first, then the lifters can get stuck if it sat for a while, rings and bearings last to go unless it's been badly abused (run hot, low on oil, etc.). Since you plan on keeping it you won't regret rebuilding the engine as long as you really like the Waggie.

Get it running good on the carb, and if you really love the thing and intend to drive a lot consider an EFI conversion. Won't help a lot in gas mileage, don't expect more than 12-13 mpg average with the carb (10 or so in town and 14-15 on the highway), might pick up 1-2 mpg on average with a throttle body EFI (something like https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-240505/overview/). It's not real hard to adapt a late 80s/early 90s GM throttle body from a 350. It's about the right size and tune, and can be half the price of a bolt-on self-learning job... a bit or research and elbow grease (got more time than money?). Then there is the Microsquirt, which requires a good bit of searching for parts. Just under $400 for the wiring and ECU, but you have to source injectors, intake, sensors and throttle body. Easy to end up with $750 in all, but then it's much easier to program for any odd situations/changes. It can be used to run a throttle body injection system or multi point.  Since it only has two injector drivers it's a batch fire controller, not sequential. According to the maker, sequential doesn't add power unless you can tune each individual cylinder (the MS can't, only really sophisticated systems can), and then only 2-3% total power. Sequential does help emissions at low speed, which is why OEMs spend the money to do it. There cost is spread over 100s or thousands of vehicles, so no big deal...

Honestly, the EFI conversion will make it much easier to drive -- quicker starts, not a lot of waiting for it to warm up in cold weather, etc. Will also stay in tune without having to do tune-ups once or twice a year (twice is ideal -- one for summer driving, one for winter...), and will make things last longer because the fuel mixture is closer to ideal most of the time. It's unburned fuel and carbon from slightly rich mixtures that dirty up oil and clog rings...  that's why manufactures recommend 5000-7500 miles between oil changes instead of 3000 now.  It's better to run a little rich than a little lean, so carbs are usually calibrated to do just that. The only gas mileage and power increase between a very well tuned carb and EFI is due to the fact that the EFI system stays in tune with changes in altitude and weather. Carbs tuned for high altitudes don't run well close to sea level and vice-versa. EFI just changes the tune on the fly, so a modern EFI vehicle should run as well at sea level as at 5000 feet above. Depending on how much you drive, the EFI just might not be worth the cost and effort.
Frank Swygert
FREDMAXX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREDMAXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2019 at 10:47am
Thanks Frank for taking the time to respond. Very interesting perspective. I will definitely consider that as I intend to make some other upgrades as well. This is intended to be a long term relationship for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic