TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Roller rocker help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roller rocker help
    Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 6:10am
I’m trying to be thrifty but still get a good setup. So I have a few questions
1. Any issue using the same roller rockers with factory heads as well as the edelbrock heads. 
2. What is the concensus on the best value roller rockers that would work for both style of heads?
3. For a hot 360 naturally aspirated setup in a javelin is the 1.7 ratio rocker worth it? Would it give me closer to roller cam power if I stuck with flat tappet and used 1.7?

Thanks in advance
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 8:19am
1.7 rockers require attention to get the geometry right.  No, you will not get roller cam power just by changing rockers.  1.6 rockers almost always work as long as they are AMC specific or small block Ford.  Upgrade to 7/6 studs because the price is the same as for 3/8 studs and the stiffer studs will be more stable.  The bigger the cam, the stiffer the valve springs, the more quality you should look for in a rocker.  Almost any rocker is ok with a hydraulic cam.

Amc wannabe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 8:59am
ok, so bigger studs is a must. 1.7 needs extra care to keep valves off pistons.
But are you saying if it’s a ford or amc roller rocker it will work for both amc stock heads and aftermarket edelbrock?

Also any brands to avoid on this? 
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 11:01am
What's your current intake duration and lift, compression ratio and target rpm?  More valve area by way of rocker ratio may not work in your favor if you've got enough already.

Shawn
Amc wannabe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 11:22am
that’s the thing, this is a whole new build. So I have a whole world of options and want to make it so that the parts compliment each other and can be used as I get better heads etc down the road. I want it to be a very hot street 360. Undecided on roller or flat tappet yet but know I will be upgrading incrimentally and heads are gonna have to be on phase 2.
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 11:46am
Excellent.  If it were me, I'd start with the duration you suspect will be right with a 1.6 rocker, find a lobe with ~2 to 4 degrees less than that and use a 1.7 rocker on the intake.

Howard's has MOPAR .903 lobes in 2* increments.

Shawn
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 1:49pm
Look at some of the cam manufacturer's Lobe Lists,
(Howards is a good choice to look at and buy from)
if you do end up going with .904 lobes you might find that lobes in the range of duration you'd want already have a lot of lift and going to 1.7 rockers isn't really helpful unless you're going for a serious effort engine with .600"+ lift (that has heads and valve clearances worked to match).

Where the 1.7's could help is to add a little lift to a less agressive standard (Chevy) style lobes,
or with off the shelf cams that just need a little more lift for what you want to do.

If you're going to have someone spec a cam out for you,
you can tell them that you haven't made up your mind on rocker ratio,
they might want to use the 1.7's to get a little more out of a milder lobe,
but chances are they'd stick to the 1.6's and still be able to spec something that is right for your build.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 1:52pm
I had a problem with pushrods binding in the heads with 1.7 rockers on Edelbrock heads.  Not just a problem with piston to valve clearance.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic