TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 turbo install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 10:52pm
Hey racekilla, how's your turbo-rambler holding up? Learned anything new? I'm interested in hearing about tweaks and fixes or whatever you might have done in the last year+. Just when through your thread again, nice work! You clearly know carbs.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 5:07pm
Still holding up. Haven't done much tweaking over the last 6 months. been a year with it now with no issues. Been running around 6psi no issues. I have added an oil catch can plumbed back in the front of the turbo. Under boost allows pressure to be pulled from crank case as the pcv does nothing under boost.  

I have the carb pretty close now but 60 and above will run a tad rich unless I change a metering rod. I just leave it alone as I use the car mainly on cold days or cooler summer days. If I were to do it again id just go with a fitech/sniper with self learning for boost as it would be much more consistent with weather and what not. 

One thing is have a good wideband gauge. It was the only way I could of ever got this tuned and keep engine alive. 

I did have a misfire under boost which a tighter plug gap fixed. I think I have mine around .025-.030 to help with spark blow out.

But a 160k plus mileage bone stock 258 I can't complain. I found it run better on the factory two barrel intake rather then aftermarket 4 barrel. It shifted where the boost come in out, low end torque plus inconsistent air fuel at idle. The factory 2 barrel is done at 4k but I shift it earlier then that. I have 5 psi boost by 17-1800 and shift it mid 3's rather then turn the rpms. I'm sure if a cam swap, efi, 4 barrel would make a ton more
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the update. Actually your setup sounds ideal for me, eg. low RPM, torquey rather than go for max HP at RPM. But I'm lazy.

I hadn't thought of PCV.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic