TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Is 50 Grams a Lot ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 1:10am
I wonder if whoever rebuilt it got the application mixed up with 360 Mopar, assuming it's for a 360 and 727 application. The Mopar 360 is externally balanced and has the weight on the torque converter rather than the flex plate like AMC.  
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 5:26am
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Yeah it sounds like they may have screwed it up when they changed the stall speed. How does one even change the stall speed of a converter? It's a welded assembly.

I don't build high performance stuff. Maybe this is common for all I know but it sounds plain weird.

You can google rebuild torque converter and find videos of the process. Changing the pitch of the fins and clearances inside the converter will change the stall. Most rebuilt converters are balanced when done. I would guess it was missed on this converter.
x2.... 
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 7:10am
AMC converters are neutral balanced. They may have a used a mopar converter as a core which has a balance weight. I get all my converters (and valve bodies) from Turbo Action
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 12:25pm
Mopar 360's used 19 inch-oz unbalance at the converter.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 12:43pm
Mopar Converters are NOT neutral Balance ?   Wow, thanks, did not know that.
Is the Balance weight external and visible or is it internal ?
Can person cut the ring gear of a Mopar Converter and an external weight?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 11:24pm
Mopar convertors can be both neutral balanced and weighted depending on the engine application. If you get a convertor from an internally balanced Mopar engine (318, 340, 383, probably others, but that is the limit of my knowledge), you can cut the ring gear off and use it behind an AMC engine, at least that is my experience. Others have said that you do not need to remove the ring gear, but I found with the one I used (Turbo Action), that it had to come off.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic