TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

bridged rockers to stud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 2:45pm
can you give me any kind of specs ?  looking at running a hydraulic flat tappet 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 3:36pm
Not just a bolt on. Stands need cutting into sections and slots need to be elongated, pushrod slots need to go .060" in each direction so the pushrod does not hit the head,you need to replace the 8mm bolts with 5/16 button head bolts. I would stay away from it unless the heads are off and you want to get into it. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 4:18pm
i under stand that  what are the specs of the cams you are running  if you will tell me   thanks 

72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 5:05pm
You can run any cam you want with them with the spring pressures you will be running. Not sure what you are getting at
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 5:10pm
If your look at the "360 dyno" post JS has provided the cam specs he used.
I doubt he wants to give you a definitive on what to use as he is building a custom engine for a specific customers needs.
He's not about to put himself out of business to have every one else build there own engines with all the specs and calculations.

That and if you look at the cam, it is custom for not only the valve opening with the 1:1.7 rocker but also the increased duration, the head he did the porting on and used his flow equipment to optimize, compression ratio ... (JS, that intake closing is very interesting as you must have done flow testing to achieve the maximum cylinder charge, calculations would not provide a number like that - at least I have not found it).

If the engine was not built as a complete unit, everything taken into account, then he would not get the results he obviously achieves and is looking for.

Advising on a cam without doing all the meticulous calculations is just not something he would do as there would be many unhappy people not getting the same results as he does from there builds.

If you cannot machine these yourself and cannot do the calculations, I'd recommend sticking to 1:1.6 rockers.

Just my opinion.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 5:16pm
From many conversations with John, he definitely knows his stuff, and is extremely patient and nice to work with. I am looking forward to getting my engine in the car.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 6:11pm
Just came to me now;
if I were betting man I'd be thinking that John is putting 4 to 6 degrees of mechanical advance on that cam.
That would achieve a number of things, exhaust valve piston clearance and earlier torque curve. That makes more sense of the intake closing also.

But you would have to meticulously measure everything.

Put those LS rockers on with a performance cam set at 0, higher compression pistons, and I'd bet you have piston/valve contact.

John shouldn't post a cam for your build as you may just blow your motor on first start!  
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 9:07am
just looking for some info  not going to select the cam he is using on the 360 it is a custom grind  just wanting some general info on the builds  thats all 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic