TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Muffler recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

And way back when my Grandfather and Father owned the garage it was called a "Y" pipe.

Yup, Y pipe was another term used, crossover might have been very local .
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 1:29pm
I’ve dodged this one for a while. Can I start with questions? What is your objective? Stock? Stockish?  Single or duals? Mellow to mild performance? Just the muffler? Are you looking to improve the performance? Change the sound? Then the recommending and experience can commence. 

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I’m seeing a lack of questions.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 1:37pm
Fsj’s suggestion on the Walker book would be a great start. I’m sure we could help come up with something interesting. Describe the system now, and maybe post a pic, and rough dimensions.

Walker could provide stock type resonator equipped muffler, in a good flowing design. 

There are other, more trick ways of doing mellow ambassador worthy cruising, commute, neighborhood friendly things too.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 2:15pm
Walker Quiet Flow stainless mufflers are really nice. They are 100% OE replacement, very quiet, and last practically forever.

Turbo mufflers, made by Walker, Thrush, or Dynomax, are pretty nice too. They're usually not stainless but still last a long time. They are quiet but what sound they make has a nice tone. They do not drone at all.

I generally find a single large case volume turbo muffler with either a converter or a resonator ahead of it to be acceptable. Put an electric cutout in after the resonator if you want to blat from time to time.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 12:30am
Actually I just discovered Thrush makes a muffler called the Thrush Hush. It looks like a really cool option. It appears to be basically a Thrush turbo with some fiberglass matting inside, which is exactly what stock OE mufflers are.

Will likely be my next muffler.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 1:01pm
that’s what I have on my 69 and it just right it has a little rumble makes my 290 sound tough 
Mean

Edited by amx007 - Jan/15/2019 at 7:01pm
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Ambassador66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambassador66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

There are other, more trick ways of doing mellow ambassador worthy cruising, commute, neighborhood friendly things too.

As soon as I'm able to post pics I'll dump a ton. In the mean time it's stock, stock, stock. Just a huge hole in the middle of it.  I can see separate lines coming back from each side of he engine and then make a y'ish shape that then goes up and a quick 90 over the diff. It then goes into the muffler with the extra output on the left and exits on the right. It exits to a single side on the passengers side of the car. 

I've done single to doubles and doubles to singles on bikes, just don't know what I don't know with the car.  DIY is the name of the game. If I could go to a double it wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Phrogbubba View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phrogbubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 4:46am
I crank Zepplin until it overcomes my Flowmaster 40's. If it's too loud . . . (?) you're too . . . (?)!
"When a man's words are not better than the silence, he should remain silent." Qwi Chang Cain
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 9:14pm
I run 3 inch straight though (Perforated not louvered) glass packs that exit in front of the rear wheels...I turn my 8 track(Don`t have a radio) on when i start the car but can`t hear it while i`m driving..... The Burnout is not in front of my house..it`s in an industrial park.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEdV6vPswg
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic