TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No reverse lights or Turn Signals on 69 Rambler
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No reverse lights or Turn Signals on 69 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No reverse lights or Turn Signals on 69 Rambler
    Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 12:11am
Read a lot of previous posts on light issues but they are slightly off my topic.

So just got everything back together after paint and body.  My headlights, tail lights, brake lights and parking lights all work.  Yet, no turn signals nor reverse lights.  I will check the fuses first.  If that checks out should I go to the turn signal in the steering column first or another route prior to the turn signal?  Is there any connection between turn signal failure and reverse light failure?  Caveat, I am moderately adequate with electrical issues but far from an expert.

Any and all thoughts and experiences welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks.

Matt

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Dec/19/2018 at 12:14am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 6:51pm
Anyone got a suggestion?  Thanks.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 7:43pm
I'm not sure about the reverse light, is this a manual or automatic?  As to the turn signals, the brake lights are routed through the turn signal switch.  Try a left or right turn with the switch and with the switch in that position, check the brake lights.  Then try signalling in the other direction.  If the brake light for the side you are signalling to is out in either direction when the brake is applied, I'd look ahead of the turn signal switch.  Pull the flasher out and make sure you have power to the flasher as a starting point.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 7:53pm
Roger is correct about the turn signals. The reverse lights are a different circuit. Usually key on power runs thru the switch on the transmission (or steering column or shift linkage) to the lights. I'd check for power at the switch and see if it's coming in and going out first and go from there.

Since I don't have a wiring schematic for your car, I can't say for sure how they're wired but I've also seen reverse lights get fed power and the switch provides the ground. Two wires from the harness to the reverse socket could indicate this kind of circuit.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 8:22pm
Matt, I pulled out my '68 manual and assuming the wiring is the same, I think you lost your accessories fuse.  The accessories fuse appears to feed a line of male connectors on one edge of the fuse board.  One of those connectors feeds a wire to the reverse light switch and another wire to the turn signal flasher.  I'd check with a voltmeter if you have voltage on any of the accessory connectors and if you do, then check if the plug for the reverse light/turn signal wires is tight on its male connector.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 8:28pm
On AMX & Javelin the turn signal flasher feed and backup lights both come off the 14 amp Accessory fuse, lower left on fuse panel. Maybe your car is the same. Check the fuse and the end plug on connector on the fuse panel. Two wires on same connector, brown and brown w/ tracer.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 9:06pm
Many thanks gents.  Great feedback for my investigation.  Off I go.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 10:03am
Well, well......  :confused:

Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic