TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 327 headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 327 headers
    Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 8:34pm
Some time ago a fellow AMCer was working on some headers or hedders if your a headman guy, and I was wondering if anything came of his efforts. Thanks
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 9:39pm
i will have header flanges done soon if you want to make your own.  3/8" thick steel plate.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 6:06pm
I would like to know if you can find my website: XRV8 Race Parts

Here's a few pics of the headers I made the 'old school way' for installing a Rambler 327 V8 into a Gremlin:

Here is a picture of the headers with the engine installed (fits like a glove!): 

After I fabricated all the flanges, took me about one week to make each header, bending and joining together all the tubing myself. -I used 16 gauge tubing; 1 5/8" for front and rear cylinders, 2 3/16" for the center siamesed cylinders. ...yes the exhaust crossover is a component part which, in theory, is the next best thing to a true 180 degree header system. (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order)

These headers sound excellent IMO with no exhaust pipes.

The custom fabricated independent runner intake manifold was more difficult to make than the headers.  (much to say about it, but is off track for this original question)
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 8:52pm
Here is some more information for making Rambler V8 headers:

Hopefully a picture tells a thousand words.

Visualize the Rambler V8's 1-8-4-6-5-7-2 firing order while looking at the header design to see why the crossover and different length pipes are there attempting to gain 180 degree scavenging pulses from each other... notice the distance from #4 to #1 with 180 degree signal etc 

Feel free to contact me by PM or Email.

I may not always have the time, but I always enjoy 'talking AMC'.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 5:46am
I, too, have been wondering about dogleg heads on the RV8.

Hope you get a chance to work it out.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 8:43am
I always wondered if anyone ever tried dividing one of these siamesed port V8 heads so the intake side (crossover) exhaust port was used to exhaust one of the two center cylinders.

It would certainly look different with one exhaust tube looping around the top of the valve cover,
 and I'm sure the size of the crossover port would come into play,
 but I'm wondering if it has ever been tried.

Thanks for posting the drawings amcenthusiast!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic