TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 bbl carb kit for 6cyl ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 11:05am
The only time I feel any hesitation of the secondaries with my 500cfm Carter is if I'm rolling in 2nd and stomp the pedal to the floor. Otherwise, I have no complaints of it's performance. When shifting gears fast it had been working flawlessly. I should adjust my accelerator pump and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by 232jav3sp - Dec/25/2018 at 11:10am
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 11:22am
Yea, that could be a place to start... you have adjustments on the accel. rod
Put a Vac guage on it and see exactly where the "bog" is happening you may need to change the jets

STANIMAL View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANIMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 12:46pm
I have been more inclined to use a Holley for its ease of tuning. I just have to figure out which model. There seems to be several to choose from. 
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 2:40pm
The easiest to set up as far as Im concerned, is the 600 cfm unit... Holley # 0-80457SA, Pump Cam Kit #20-12, 50cc Pump Conversion #20-11, Quick Change Secondary Diaph. & Spring kit pt#38-1000qft. I have used this basic set up for 30-40 years on many different cars.... Now the one issue I do see, from some of the pics Ive seen, the carb sits sideways on the engine, it was never desicgned for taht usage, When I put the 650 Double pump carb on my RX-7 Rotary, I put in "road Race" floats with center Hung bowls and dual inlets

racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 2:54pm
If you really want to get creative, find a used 0-1850..  take it apart, gently drill the venturi boosters out, find a set of "Dog leg" boosters, epoxy them into place, then find Center Hung float bowls, and a secondary metering block (replaces the plate) make sure it does not have the power valve opening.. You are replacing the plate to the block because you want to be able to change jets.
then go to Holley get a throttle shaft kit, make sure you get the thin plates ( would have to run and get a carb for part numbers) put the screws in with red lock tite, then file the heads flat, leave enough "slot" to screw it in... Then file the back side to match the throttle shaft.. put it together set it up and go

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by STANIMAL STANIMAL wrote:

I have been more inclined to use a Holley for its ease of tuning. I just have to figure out which model. There seems to be several to choose from. 

I think Holley is junk. Now that is a personal opinion. A few mistakes made to obtain that opinion. 
I have never seen "a easy to tune" Holley.

I would recommend a 500 Elderbrock, tune it two stages lean. Your springs will depend on how your vacuum is. I run the strongest springs. You are done. 

Also use Remflex exhaust/intake gasket and that issue will not come back to haunt you. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 3:48pm
I've read enough about Holley carb tuning in recent years, and have watched enough Roadkill videos, to understand how to tune one. But, I find the Carter/AFB to be far an away easier. Part of that is because ATV/dirtbike carbs are very similar with jets and metering rods, and I started out doing that. The Edelbrock tuning instructions are easy to follow, too. 
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 4:21pm
Again, the weight issue to tune the secondary air valve.. That is what I never could get right on the Carter/Edelbrock
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by racerM95 racerM95 wrote:

Again, the weight issue to tune the secondary air valve.. That is what I never could get right on the Carter/Edelbrock

The Thunder AVS seriees of Eddy carbs has an adjustable secondary air valve. Never tried one, though

racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 5:25pm
That is an off shoot of the original 68-71 Carter AVS used by Mopar..... The original has the "air door"
Higher in the body, kinda looks like a spring loaded choke for the secondaries.. Edelbrock put the door lower in the body... Edelbrock put in annular discharge boosters.... Those are used on Holleys larger CFM model carbs ie 1000,1100,1150 dominators.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic