TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aw4 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 6:14am
The AW4 should handle 400 hp easy enough. It might need some upgrades. If you're building a cruiser I'd say go for it with even a stock AW4. If you plan on romping on it regularly you might want to investigate upgrades. There are a couple companies that specialize in upgrading them, but it can be costly. There are some links in this thread that will give you most of the info you're looking for:
Frank Swygert
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 12:13pm
Well that's great information, seems like it will probably handle what I plan to put it behind. A transmaxx shift kit, raybestos stage 1 clutches, a large tranny cooler, and a couple of mods and it should be good to go... but I didn't see much on converters?
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 5:06am
You'll have to call a converter company and see what they would charge to modify one. You might be able to run a Toyota Supra converter... I would think they have a bit more stall than the Jeep models. Most use these for cruisers and find the stock Jeep converter to be acceptable. For performance you might want a little more slip. It's easy to prevent lock-up -- just find the wire to the converter lock-up solenoid and put a toggle switch in it! That doesn't help acceleration much, but should help converter clutch life... though no one has complained about that even on Jeeps with over 200K on them.
Frank Swygert
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 9:15am
The jeep guys say the stock stall is about 2100-2200 so not bad if that's true. Now to compare the cost of a modified AW4 vs a GM trans. Novak's conversion kit allows, a 4L80, which is more then strong enough, but I'm not sure if that would fit? 
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic