TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1977 Hornet Sportabout "SCat"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Hornet Sportabout "SCat"
    Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 7:26pm
I'm now the proud owner of my second Sportabout.  First one is a 1973 with 360/727/posi and is a lot of fun, but she's a thirsty girl.  Last night, I picked up a 1977, 232 with a 3 speed on the floor (150T).

I rebuilt the YF carb (part number says it was from a 1975 CJ5.  Owner verified it.)  The plastic spacer below the carb was cracked, so while I'm waiting on that to dry, I'm taking a look at the absurd amount of vacuum lines and switches this thing has going and coming from every corner of the driver side.  Also gonna make some new ignition wires and swap plugs.

Here's a question for the experts:  The smog pump has already been removed and the air lines are pretty much going to nowhere.  What's the best no emissions setup to run on this thing as I'm planning to tear out anything I can to simplify things while still maintaining drive-ability?  I'm in SoCal, BUT as an active duty Marine, all of my vehicles are registered in Texas and not required to do smog checks in CA.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 11:39am
Pick up a vacuum diagram from an older model, say 1971 or '72. This should get you up and running without all the smog junk.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 12:30pm
Thanks, Mr. Ed.  

After looking it over a bit and figuring out what everything was, I got it all figured out.  Blocked off air tubes, removed or plugged everything else except charcoal canister with tank and carb vent lines connected.  PCV is in front valve cover hole and connected to bung below carb on manifold.  Rear valve cover hole has a breather.  Distributor is on a ported signal on carb. Probably going to find a manifold source for it later.  
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 9:38am
You're welcome.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic