TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 width

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Could, just an option, put in a shortened Ford 8.8 or find a Ranger 8.8 that is 56.5" and bolt it up. It's cheaper then shortening a AMC20, can get posi, many gear ratios, disk brakes and a stronger axle if you go the 31 spline, same bolt pattern.
Just an option, but then there is that, it's stronger, go faster issue!
Life is tough!

So the Ranger is the same width as the American Rambler...mine's a '66 and was thinking of a Ranger, how about the spring perches....oh wait there on the top aren't they?
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 8:55am
That is only 86-92 Ranger 8.8 axles that are 56.5". Those are hard to find, as they were only used on commercial chassis 86-89, and with the 4.0L V-6 from mid 90-92. 93+ Ranger axles are 2" wider.

Spring perches would have to be changed. If you're doing anything but hard core drag racing the 83-92 Ranger 7.5" axle is a good substitute. It's not really stronger than the AMC 15 (7-9/16" ring gear, technically a bit stronger than the 7-1/2"), but has the one piece hub/axle that makes up for any minute ring gear strength difference. They have 1.21" axle shafts with 28 splines (same as Ranger 8.8) and are pretty tough for a cruiser or moderate power street car. A lot lighter than the AMC 20 or Ford 8.8 also.
Frank Swygert
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That is only 86-92 Ranger 8.8 axles that are 56.5". Those are hard to find, as they were only used on commercial chassis 86-89, and with the 4.0L V-6 from mid 90-92. 93+ Ranger axles are 2" wider.

Ahh....thanks for clearing that up, I almost bought a later model 8.8 Ranger and would have been pissed. I guess the 15 will be fine for now.
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 5:34am
The AMC 15 is fine for a light car with moderate V-8 power as long as you're not regularly drag racing and just running street tires that fit the wheel wells (an 8" wide tire is about as much as you an go). Just loosen then re-torque the axle nuts to 250 ft/lbs if you don't know when that was done last. AMC never specified a re-torque interval because it only needs to be done every 20 years or so. Time takes a toll more than mileage in this case. A couple people experienced spun hubs on 196 powered big cars a few years ago, but those were 40+ years old. The end of the axle will stretch ever so slightly over time, more so than mileage. So it takes over 40 years to loosen enough to spin a hub on street tires with low power, maybe a little less with a big motor. No one with a V-8 has mentioned spinning a hub in an older car yet, though I'm sure it has happened. If the bearings or seals have been changed the hub would have been removed and re-torqued -- the bearings may not last as long with V-8 power...
Frank Swygert
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 9:09pm
Man, this discussion really went full tilt. Anyway, the 205X75X14 tires gave me the clearance I needed. Thankfully I don't have to drag my old body under the car to mess with the rear. Thanks for the suggestions everyone posted.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
68Ambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68Ambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2018 at 8:22pm
So if I am understanding this right, the Gremlin, Hornet, model 20, is an inch and ahalf to two inches wider than the model 15 in the American? I'm about to buy a model 20 (cheap) and am wondering if its worth getting? Feed back would be greatly appreciated!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic