TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

enough carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 6:31am
I thought the 44IDF would be too much, but might work with the smallest venturii. Seems you figured all that out and even that the smallest venturii wouldn't work well. I'm glad you do so much documenting -- I point people to your well documented Rambler pages all the time. 

You might want to stress a bit more that your engine is HIGHLY modified needs the 38/38 over the 32/36. You do point that out, but someone quickly reading over the carb page might miss it... I've been known to quickly scan a page while looking for info.

I didn't have as much trouble as you with a WCD in turns and drove my car more aggressively than most would... or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention? I do recall a couple instances where it "stumbled" a bit coming out of a turn, but only when pushed real hard... as you do a lot in your rally driving. Most of the issues people have with the WCD is just worn out cores... especially around the throttle shaft.

That 44IDF info might come in handy for someone with a larger engine. It might work well on a 232, if not that certainly a 258. The higher rpm capability as well as 36 more cubes of a 232 might just be enough though... but I'd try the smaller 32mm venturii ("chokes").  The 62 more cubes of a 258 should be enough for the larger 36mm for sure, especially in a built-up engine with better cam. I'd think a Clifford or Offy open plenum intake with an adapter plate would be wonderful with a 44IDF, but could mod a factory 2V intake or even a 4.0L EFI intake for a cheaper way to go.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 6:36am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I know what all the CFM charts and fun VB script and Java stuff on various car pages out there says - but I ran across a CFM calculator that said my 360 was fine with the dual quads I have - they suggested for my car 1100. Well, the two Edelbrocks (which suck, literally and figuratively) exceed that a bit but it's pretty close. I think it was either a Holley page or perhaps a site selling intakes. In any case, the idea was that my engine was ok with what's on it - and it flies in the face of all the "conventional wisdom" out there. It's got torque - plenty of low-end, no slouch even putzing around town with it (but the 2500 converter can be an issue trying to keep under the speed limit in some places in town as I have to keep feathering it)

It's not just the diameter of the valve head - it's the stem, the shape, and any shrouding, etc A big valve that's shrouded is worse than a smaller one with no shrouding, IMO. There's a whole lot of design factors. 
Thats the truth.....and I sure learned that in an unusual way.  I pit crewed on a stock car years go.  Car had a stock 350 with a 2bbl.  It was having valve train problems.  Now it had the late model heads on it.  
We put a set of small valve 1966 283 heads on it. It ran much better....and he started winning....and these heads had better ports....
And we were the champs in our class fot the season
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 11:42pm
(of course there is a middle [high performance] path -- that's what engine builders do! existing metal re-engineered. and of course that can be fantastically subtle. i was speaking off the cuff for the point... not stating clear fact.)

yeah, chopping this carb up not worth the substantial effort. i had the 38/38 DGV right there on the shelf... also each bore feeds it's side of the engine, so progressive wouldn't work there.

yeah the 44 IDF would be great on a 258! (umm, i think? lol). i actually bought a pair of 32mm chokes (aka venturis) but while they were in transit i made the realization about driving in the switchover area so they sit in the box.

but usage really matters -- drag racing is completely different from sports-car use, where the engine is most of the time somewhere in midrange.  there, smaller is better.

the smaller DGV tunes up fantastically easy. idle mix is dead-on 1 turn, an eighth turn either way is quite sharp. transition off-idle narrow and no flatspot. with the new plenum it needed a main jet; it was running 14.9 to 15.2 afr on 140 jets, with 145's 14.4 to 14.5 afr.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic