TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Tire Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Tire Size
    Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 12:56am
I have a friend who wants to put new tires on his 1973 Gremlin X. He as stock suspension and is using the original AMC rally wheels. The original tire size was D70-14 but he wants a radial tire that will be roughly the same diameter and width. I'm putting together a list of possible tire sizes he could use. 

Will P215/70R14 fit ok or should he go with a P205/70R14? Would something like a P225/60R14 be an option or are those getting too wide to fit without interference?

Thanks. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 1:17am
i had 205/70-R14's on my 1970 Hornet they fit just fine. (tire size recorded in my tire/gear/axle calculator spreadsheets). it's too long ago for my memory to be that reliable but on all of my AMCs the tire clearance issue is always the outer edge wants to just nick the front fender opening, about 4 o'clock in the fender well on the passenger side. Worse when the suspension is slightly compressed, eg. pulling into a driveway that's a slight ramp up.

my 63 classic -- *very* similar in this regard tot he 70 hornet -- i had 215/65-R15's (Nitto's i think) on and they reliably scraped the tiniest bit in htat circumstance (wheel cocked, pulling up a driveway "ramp" from street to driveway) but zero harm done. but hey my standards are low.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 1:58am
195/70-14 would be close to the metric equivalent. Modern versions of the D70-14 bias tire appear to have a diameter of 25.4" so if you stick somewhere close to that with wider options you will be on the money.

Edited by WesternRed - Nov/16/2018 at 2:01am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:11pm
Here's a Chart showing dimensions for the old Alpha Tire Size standards...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic