TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stripe color finish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:33am
The clear coat used will determine the gloss, the base coat really won't change this. The reason for mentioning the flat base coat is for adherence and time. You get better on both when using a flat base for the clear coat. Just my experience.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 6:59pm
Just as an FYI, my stripes were painted on AFTER the clear using a single stage paint. There's just enough of an edge from the masking that most everyone thinks they're tape. I hate to have been so vague about the gloss level of the tape stripes. They're supposed to be gloss but the gloss level of the 3M tape back then was sort of a split between satin and a full gloss. The gloss of vinyl today is much glossier than what was the norm back then. Just as an FYI, I bought a new 69 AMX that had the black stripes. it was a leftover car from the Philly zone. The zone office had a number of 69 AMXs that they received from AMC to sell off. All brand new, not exec. cars or demos. I waxed the car the weekend I took it home. It had an excellent paint job from the factory. I waxed the stripes with the rest of the car and they became quite shiny at that point, but the gloss level toned back down quite quickly. The OEM stripes tended to weather quickly and eventually shrink and crack.
Tape is "stock" correct but the paint is the way to go for other than a full blown pure stock show car.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:48pm
I've done Red stripes on a Frost White car, Black stripes on a Caravelle Blue car and White stripes on a Rally Green car, all 68 AMX's. All these were painted on after the base color coat, then clear coated. Since the clear has the same gloss all over the car, I would say they are pretty glossy. Also, they don't weather, shrink, crack or get rock chips (like my Calcutta Russet w/White tape stripes), and you don't have to clean the wax residue from the edges after polishing the car. It may not be "correct", but painted stripes under the clear will last as long as the rest of the paint with no deterioration if washed and waxed occasionally. Anyway, the Mustang/Camaro crowd at the cruise-in won't know the difference!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic