TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

327 head bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 327 head bolts
    Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 2:16pm
I need to find head bolts for my 1961 AMC 327. I am removing the left side head to clean due to obstruction by rust flakes. This is a Graymarine boat engine that sat in my garage for 15 years while the boat was being slowly restored. Since relaunching her earlier this year the port (left) head gets overheated after 2-3 minutes at idle (burns the hand when touched). The right side stays warm to touch. I found numerous rust chips in the block when replacing a core plug on same side and many more stuck in the oil coolers. So the head is coming off for a look see. Hopefully it won't need rebuilding, as it was rebuilt 20 years ago and has only 10 hours on the clock. The head bolts have been taken off by me two previous times, and are OE. Not sure about previous owner's work before 1976. Time to replace bolts with new ones, but where do you guys suggest I look? I have scoured the internet with no luck so far. Thanks.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 3:22pm
If this is a boat motor then the oil coolers would be separate from the engine. The engine needs a good cooling system flush and pressure test. The oil coolers need a separate flush and pressure test.
That's IF this is assembles like the last motor boat with V8's that I was on.
As far as head bolts and head gaskets, just "google" AMC 327 ... and you will find the parts. Sometimes cheaper to get an engine rebuild kit that comes with ARP bolts, head gaskets and frost plugs then buying individually. 

Edited by Trader - Nov/07/2018 at 4:03pm
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 8:30pm
Keep in mind that the rear head bolt that also holds down the rocker shaft is hollow to supply oil to the shaft. They are not torque to yield bolts. ARP might be able to match up what you need.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2018 at 7:12am
They are just grade 8 bolts. Take the old ones to Fastenal or some other industrial fastener supply and they can match them up. That is except for that hollow one.  You can take a grade 8 bolt to a machine shop for drilling, but I wouldn't attempt it myself. The shop will do it on a lathe. It is fine to re-use the old bolts, but won't hurt to replace them.
Frank Swygert
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2018 at 10:47am
Have you taken the engine apart yet? Is it raw water cooled? Or antifreeze/closed system exchangers? Sounds raw. I may have some thoughts for you. The exhaust risers may be an issue that imperiles the engine.
FunkyStickman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyStickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 8:36am
Just FYI, I have a 287 that's doing the same thing... and I'm about to remove the heads to clean it as well. It would heat soak the intake manifold until the carb would boil dry. Same place, from the left front part of the head.

Good luck!
'65 Marlin (WIP)
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 6:19am
have you changed the core plugs in block?  The one behind oil filter adaptor area usually gets very plugged with debris.  Changing all six and flushing the block will help tremendously with cooling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic