TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Yet Another 70 AMX Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 7:55pm
Finish putting the heater box back together. Waiting on the new heater core to arrive. To much work to trust a unknown core.

Edited by Talonfcc566 - Nov/05/2018 at 7:59pm
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 6:27pm
Interesting history on this car. Some of you like the back story so here's this one. I bought it at Navarre Florida as a parts car but quickly saw that it would be a great candidate for restoration. As I cleaned it out I found the build sheet under the passenger's seat. Unfortunately, the mice had it in pieces with very little left. So close to having the holy grail. Then as I cleaned the glove box I found a DD Form 214. A retirement form for military. I researched the name and found the man that own the car about 20 miles away. He agreed to meet me to discuss the AMX. Great story long ... He bought it in Southern California, June of 1970, Victorville, Victoria Motors. Still has the license plate frame. He found it on the used side so someone bought it but quickly traded it in. He owned it till 1997. Most of the time it spent in storage (North Dakota) while he was over seas. He sold it to the guy in Navarre who kept in storage for 12 years. He realized he would never restore it so put it on craigslist. I bought it middle of 2010.
The AF guy always hoped someone would restore it. As we talked he ask if I wanted the parts he still had for it. WHAT? PARTS? This guy had emblems, rear bumper, exhaust manifolds, exhaust smog pipes, all kinds of stuff saving me hundreds if not more. I asked for any old pics of the car but he hasn't found any but the history of her that he shared is amazing. I've learned so much about the history of this time capsule. I guess I'm the fourth owner but to me I think of myself more like the second true owner.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 7:19pm
Great story!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Lime Green 70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lime Green 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 10:07pm
wow! your hitting pay dirt with this car . excellent story ! 
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 10:25pm
great story!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 7:09am
Thanks guys,
Another thing I wanted to highlight, is my plan. I gave it a lot of thought and listening to points of views here on the forum. This AMX was born somewhat plain but on the other side, it is an AMC AMX which alone makes it pretty special. She was born as a 360, 4-speed, limited slip rear end. Not sure of the gears. Non-ram air and not shadowed masked. Manual drum brakes all around. Previous own said she had no stripping at all when he bought it in 1970.
With that said, my plan is to keep her as born. I could do all the upgrades and changes to more modern components but that's is not what she is. I think it's bawlisy to do but I want to stay true to the car. Not her fault she's on the plain side.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 7:20pm
Finished my upper inside dash insulation. Not to shabby. After next Monday I'll know if my evaporator is good and hopefully have some new lines. Thanks 304-dude for your suggestions on the a/c.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 5:58pm
Found a local shop in Ft. Walton Beach that could handle restoring my air conditioning components. Now that I have a clean bill of health on my evaporator, I put the under dash a/c back together and installed. Hoses will be connected later. So many other things to get done.
Question... on my other AMX, there isn't a hole on the forward portion of the transmission hump (you can see hole in pic) for condensation drain tube, but there is a tube going out the fire wall under the heater box (same hole as carpet hold down hole in picture). I don't get why the difference. Didn't all AMX's have the condensation drain under evaporator box?

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 6:12pm
Anyone have any good pic's of how the moisture barrier paper cover behind the left and right kick panels.

I took pics 5 years ago but can't find them now. Lesson  learned to late ... don't underestimate how far down the road it may be before you will need those documentation pics again.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic