TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX btake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blindman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX btake
    Posted: Oct/16/2018 at 10:01pm
The brake line under the pass door has a square block right before the rear brake hose. How does it work? It is a single , isolated hydraulic line from the master to the wheel cylinders.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 12:21am
It  is a rear brake proportioning valve found on all AMCs that have front disc brakes. According to the TSM "A failure of the valve mechanism will cause only an early rear wheel slide. The proportioning valve is serviced as an assembly and never adjusted or overhauled." When I first saw it on my AMX several years ago, I looked it up the TSM. I was restoring the entire brake system at the time including the brake line pressure differential warning light switch. and all new rear drum brake assembly and new front rotors with hubs. Strongly recommend getting the TSM.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Blindman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blindman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 9:11am
So it limits pressure or adds pressure?
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 9:40am
It is a very important component if you have front disc brakes on your car. It limits the maximum line pressure to the rear brakes. This valve will prevent a dangerous condition where the rear brakes lock up long before before the front brakes are even fully applied.

Sometimes these valves can get stuck from sitting decades without use. Here is an article on how to rebuild one.
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/valve-rebuild-kh-multi-prop
Blindman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blindman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 10:38am
Hey thanks man! I just ordered 3 kits....thanks again. Im rebuilding the whole car.....never had an AMC before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic