TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Identefy trans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identefy trans
    Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:59pm
Need hjelp to identefy this auto trans.

From a 71 matador with 304.. Will it hold UP to my 360?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 2:03pm
I think a BW40, I doubt it would hold up to a 360. If the 360 is a 72 or newer engine the crank shaft is different and would be difficult to get them bolted together correctly.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 2:15pm
I think it is a BW45, which is in my 71 304 Javelin. They are good for I6 and 304 v8, but no 360 and larger engines.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 11:16pm
before 1972, the early bell pattern, starter is on the U.S. driver's side.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 6:20am
Will it hold up to a 360.... well, that depends. If it's a pretty much stock 360 and you're just going to cruise around with it I'd say yes. If you plan on horsing around with it much it still will... for a while. Not much you can do to the old BW to beef it up. Shim the accumulators (with washers) to increase pressure, and if rebuilding you can get better clutches and bands. I'd install an external cooler in addition to the radiator mounted cooler (in the return line -- hot ATF hits radiator cooler first, then through external before returning) just to be safe as any slipping will heat the fluid up, and hot/burnt fluid is the killer of many an auto trans.  As noted, you will need a 70-71 engine (or at least crank) to use the BW trans. That or have some machine work done to a later crank... which seem counter productive. Would be easier to find a later model transmission. Even the six cylinder 904 can be built to take big power since many Mopar racers use it. Internally the AMC and Mopar versions are the same, just the case (bell bolt pattern) is different. But you would have to have the 904 built for a 360. For a cruiser you could get by with an additional cooler and a towing/RV shift kit, but would want to take it easy and just cruise around.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic