TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

C stripe stencil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C stripe stencil?
    Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 12:17am
I want to paint the C stripes on my 70 AMX. Does anyone make a stencil? I can find decals but I think they are too sticky. Anyone have any experience doing this?
Bill Frazer
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:07pm
If you've not installed large scale vinyl graphics before, it can be a daunting process, because you have exactly 1 shot to get it perfect, or you ruin a couple hundred bucks worth of vinyl.

What I've done is get a local signshop that does commercial vinyl (like for delivery vehicles, etc) to do the installs for me, and it is perfect.  The shop I use has no problem with me supplying the graphics, as they really don't make money on the vinyl cutting anyway - it's all about the install. I paid the shop $200 to install my Gremlin X vinyl a few years ago.  The best stress-relieving $200 bucks I ever paid.

What I did provide the sign-shop with was as many pictures as I could find from Dealer brochures, etc, of how the graphics were supposed to look so they could get the spacing correct, etc.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:46pm
I'm looking for a source for a stencil. I want to paint the stripes on.
Bill Frazer
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 9:27pm
There are no stencils that I know of. You would have to mask them yourself using paper and tape. What do you mean by the vinyl stripes being too sticky? If you put them on wet you can adjust them all you want to get them positioned perfectly. 
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 9:32pm
Soapy water is the secret. What I was saying is that the vinyl is too sticky to use as a stencil. Would probably damage fresh paint pulling them off.
Bill Frazer
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 9:36pm
If you decide to mask them yourself be sure to edge them with pinstripe tape to get a sharp edge.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 9:59pm
Yes. Thanks for the tip.
Bill Frazer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic