TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strange Rotor Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Rotor Setup
    Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 7:15pm
Hi, I'm working on a '70 Javelin that was converted from a street car to a race car in the late 70's or early 80's.  The rear brake setup uses C3 Corvette calipers and the rotors pictured.  Any idea what these rotors are off of?  Also, they are not the typical style that just pop off the hub with a few whacks of a mallet.  Any thoughts?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 8:53pm
I assume the rotors used are pre 90's and may be from a two piece hub. Problem is availability if make and model are found.

Not too long ago I changed my rear setup from 2001 Explorer 4x4 12" rotor to Mustang GT 13" rotor.

So, because of the offset of your existing rotor requires rear mounting of the hub, what I can do is give you my offset measurements from inside face to center of rotor for you to compare from your offset measurement from flange face to center of rotor. If the Explorer rotor fits to your mounting needs, you can look at that being a nice option, since it mounts like a standard rotor. Only mod is to install a new set of studs to mount at the hub, not the rotor.

Back in the 80's there was some reference to doing a similar trick with rotor. Basically the studs mount to the rotor and slide through the axle flange from the back side. Unfortunately the axle must be pulled to remove and replace.

I'll post my measurements tomorrow when I get out to the garage. If the measurements work out for you, I have a new set of Explorer 4x4 rotors that I don't mind getting rid of, since my change up. They are just a wee coated with factory lubricant and dust, from mockup setup off and on.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 8:47am
Thanks for the input.  I'm looking to get this car back into HSR and possibly VARA racing events.  So I need to research approved modifications.  I may actually need to return to drums.  Short term I just need to get this baby on the track for suspension adjustments and tuning.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic