TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Front Wheel spindles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Front Wheel spindles
    Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 8:42am
Hi All,

I am looking for new or un-worn front wheel spindles.
321 1325 I think is the AMC part number.
I have a 70 Rebel with Bendix 4 piston Calipers.
Where the bearing inner races sit on the spindle, the spindle has worn. 
The bearings where obviously spinning on them at some time in there life.
I have a parts car, but its spindles are worn in the same way.
Yes I have tried centre punching where the bearing sits to raise the metal and that has worked, but I want to do a proper fix.
If anyone knows where I can buy some good spindles, please let me know. I have tried emailing a few AMC suppliers in the past, but nobody has had any good ones.

I found the below for sale on line, but I dont think the spindles will be correct for my setup. I'm waiting to hear back from them though.
https://pitstopusa.com/i-23951240-argo-manufacturing-co-spindle-kit-pacer-75-80-modified.html

If anyone has dimensions or a blue print for these spindles that would be great as well. I'd take a trip to a machine shop and see if they were interested in making some for me.

Thanks in advance
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 12:10pm
The drum brake and 4 piston bendix spindles are the same forging, the difference is the thickness of the base.
If you can get a hold of some drum brake spindles, they can be modified to work if the base is machined down to match the base thickness of the 4 piston Bendix spindles. I believe the Kelsey Hays single piston disc brake spindles can be modified in the same manner. Avoid the Bendix single piston type spindles, I believe these use larger wheel bearings and cannot be used with your Bendix 4 piston setup.

Edit: Those pacer spindles are likely the Bendix single piston type.
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 4:52pm
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will ask some suppliers for the drum spindles then . I might have better luck that way.
I also thought I could buy the pacer spindles and have them machined down to size if they are thicker than the older style spindles
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 11:31pm
would a redi-sleeve or other journal repair sleeve work? if the wear is symmetrical the locktite'd sleeve would be solid and concentric.

i've been meaning to find a journal repair sleeve for the grease seal journal.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 6:48am
Almost ALL AMC spindles are the same except for base thickness. The exceptions are the 75-78 models. Those use a bigger bearing spindle, all others use the same bearings and spindle dimensions -- except base thickness. Base varied by brake type and size. Wider drums may have thicker base spindles to compensate. The later disc brake spindles (71+) typically have the thickest bases to center the rotor correctly. You can shim thin base spindles with grade 8 washers (uniform thickness and won't crush) or have the base milled down if too thick.
Frank Swygert
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 8:50pm
I have NOS and used spindles, send me a PM. these are forged steel...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic