TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leak O Matic trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 2:28am
It's not leaking. It is self-undercoating. It was optional. You could order factory undercoating, dealer undercoating, or self undercoating. 

My T-10 does that. It leaks a quart every 1000 miles, which is a major problem on a transmission that only holds 2 quarts and that you have to jack the car up and crawl underneath to fill. Makes long road trips really interesting. I need to rebuild it. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 2:31pm
So here's the deal.....why it's leaking here I don't know, this puddle is about 1 minute after shutting down. So it's coming from just above that ear on the transmission above the linkage???? A bullet hole maybe :)
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 2:33pm
To keep my sanity I'll have to post a positive picture....car looks good even if it smokes down the road.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 3:47pm
Sorry about the tranny.  Very nice looking '66!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 6:43am
Looks like it might be leaking from the vent on top of the trans. Check the fluid in neutral, not park. You might try running up to a quart low also. 
Frank Swygert
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 9:11am
I wish I had a full view picture of the trans to see where the vent is. I checked the fluid in park, I'll check it in neutral next. I can't drive it like this
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 5:27pm
Okay found the vent...yep right above that ear on the transmission, that's where it's leaking from.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2018 at 5:54pm
Did not read the whole thread so I don't know if you have drained and refilled the tranny.  That tranny has a capacity of 8 quarts with the torque converter.  If you have not counted 8 quarts on a fill (starting from a completely empty tranny and torque converter) you really don't know how much fluid is in there.  Farna's suggestion (drain one quart from the tranny and observe for a leak) sounds reasonable to me.

But if you have the correct oil level the 66 TSM lists the following causes or corrective actionsfor "oil out the vent"

Check oil level
Check dip stick length
Governor inspection
Oil tube missing or damaged
Valve body attaching bolts missing or loose (damaged)
Sealing rings missing or broken
Rear pump
Breather babble missing

What you are looking for assuming the oil level correct is anything that could create extraneous pressure inside the tranny.

Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic