TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing cover cracked or just odd photo added

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing cover cracked or just odd photo added
    Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 6:24pm
IN the photo which is had to make out....and I took lots and this is the best one...
There is a line, crack, mold mark, something that runs from the right side of the timing mark boss all the way us to the water pump...There are also 2 small whatevers going from this long mark/crack/whatever up to the center timing mark marked TD...
Have any of you ever seen this before?  What do you think it is? The pump shaft turn freely, and I can see nothing in the shaft hole...The left side of the whatever extends far past where the pump shaft  hole stops...Thanks for any opinions....Bob in Alabama

Edited by mrblatzman - Sep/22/2018 at 8:15pm
Thankyou....Bob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 6:37pm
I take it your pulling the cover from your 73 304, and noticed the issues with your cover.

I have a 71 and a 74 cover in the garage, and remembering my 73 when I worked on it through the years. The area in question, I have not seen on any of my covers. Could be a cast shift when created before the pour.

Don't see your picture... If having issues with posting, try imgbb.com. you don't need to create an account to use their service. Just select from the code selection menu full bb code. It defaults to a link.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 8:21pm
This cover is not off of any of my cars and I dont remember where I got it....It was about the dirtiest cover I have ever seen....I was preparing it ahead of time to possibly use on the 71 Hornet when the timing gears get changed soon....I have a lot of time in the thing dressing all of the sl*g and rough unfinished edges, and cant believe the area where this funny business is going on is the last place I chose to get into detailed cleaning, but that seems par for the course....Bob

Edited by mrblatzman - Sep/23/2018 at 7:06am
Thankyou....Bob
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 8:25pm
From what i see..it looks like it might be heat checking in the die, from which it was cast from.( which wouldnt hurt a thing.) See alot of this in casting process. Parts look perfect when die is new, ..then thousands of parts later, they start to show age.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 8:51pm
I think my 74 cover has something like that going on at inside area near the front of the timing chain or on top in the valley between the water ports. Sort of a plastic wrap wrinkley look. Like what was said in the previous reply given by bigbadgreen.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 8:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic