TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Project VAM car - Operation Charro - CODE: VRGT1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Project VAM car - Operation Charro - CODE: VRGT1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2019 at 3:55pm
Wow, we used to stock several because people traveling along I35 or I80 close to us would either have to be towed because the ignition died - or it died when it got hot but would go once cooled. It was worse with the large Ford boxes, but we changed our share of GM modules, too. 
The other thing that can happen is that with engine running, clamp bolt is loosened and the distributor turned to set timing - interfering with the ground because the whole of the ignition - coil, module, all of it, depends on that ground through the clamp. Loosen it while running and suddenly you have an imperfect ground for the whole system. Not so bad with points being all that's in there and taking the primary of the coil, but for GM, it's everything. 

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2019 at 3:59pm
I've read of problems with these modules, but never experienced any except that one time. We're talking vehicles, some with over 300k kms on them
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 2:53pm
Rear End Design (lots of pictures).

This is the rear axle as it is right now. It's a SPICER model 44 rear axle with a 3.31:1 rear gear ratio.

Right now it seems that the two axle shafts might be bent. My two rear wheels have an oscilating motion in them specially in highway speeds, one stronger than the other.

At first I thought my wheels were bent due to the regular use. Apparently, that doesn't seem to be the case. One wheel does need to be straightened out. But the main problem seem to be both axle shafts needing also to be straightened out.

This will be the done in the following days/weeks.

I originally had the intention of turning the rear axle into a twin grip unit, so I will be hitting two birds with one stone and have the shafts fixed and the two-wheeler made a reality.

The rear sway bar is factory issue for all VAM Spirits, as you can see, the rubber grommets are worn out, they will be replaced alongside the rest of the repair/modification job.

Regarding it, I would like to ask a question for everyone.

I remember reading once that the rear sway bar used in the regular production Spirits (GTs mainly) was different from the one used in Spirit-based AMXs.

Is this true?

If it is, can you tell which of the two rear bars is used in my car? The Spirit one or the AMX one.

Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic