TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bleeeding brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleeeding brakes
    Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 4:43pm
I recently converted my manual disc brakes on my 75 Hornet to power using the entire system from a 77 Hornet. I have an NOS booster, rebuilt master cylinder and used distribution block. My problem is that I can't get any fluid through the lines either by pumping the pedal or by vacuum pump. And no I didn't bench bleed the master cylinder. I've been doing brakes for 47 years and have never had to bench bleed the master. Any ideas.Confused
1971 SC360
1973 Ambassador Sedan 360
1973 Hornet X 360
1973 Javelin AMC 401
1975 Sportabout X 258
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 5:24pm
47 years?  53 years here... go bleed the master  cylinder, and chalk it up as having learned something new.  
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 6:01pm
40+ years, and I always bench bleed the MC.....
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by 67RogueX-Code 67RogueX-Code wrote:

47 years?  53 years here... go bleed the master  cylinder, and chalk it up as having learned something new.  

Only about 51 years here! Assuming you also installed all new brake lines in that 48 year old car than I would agree with 67RogueX-Code. "Bleed the master cyl." Then bleed the right rear, left rear, right front, and then the left front being sure the fluid is topped off as you go.      
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 6:39pm
The stoplight switch is different for manual verses power brakes. The power brake stoplight switch has a lower tension spring in it. Using the manual brake stoplight switch with power brakes may result in no stop lights. Switches for cars with cruise control also have extra terminals coming off them to disengage the cruise when the brake pedal is pressed. 

You may have a plugged differential pressure switch, or what you called the distribution block. All it does is compare the pressure in the front and rear brakes and shift a shuttle valve inside if there is a large pressure difference to light the warning light on the dash. They plug up sometimes. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Llewdrac View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llewdrac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 4:11pm
Here's something to check... did you check that your rubber lines were ok? Reason I ask is that I recently went to do mine on a Javelin that had been sitting for years, and the rubber lines had sealed shut where they're swegged to the steel. Same symptoms as you describe; couldn't get fluid through for love nor money. I'm now fully rebuilt, but struggling with some sorta issue; a power disc-brake Javelin should stop on a dime, and mine isn't :P
69ambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 4:21pm
I'm having the same problem with my 69 Ambassador! Everything is new bench bled master cylinder eliminated the pressure diff. valve and still no fluid anywhere. PM me when you get yours working cause I have ran out of things to try!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 5:24pm
The first thing is, always bleed the master.
The second is don't believe that a NOS master/power boost combination will work as expected even when advertised as direct replacements.
In both cases, try setting up bleed tubes on the car. If you don't get fluid then the boosted pin is not set or the mismatch of NOS parts just does't work.
You can end up at the other end of the scale also with today's NOS parts and have too much brake,  no feather. Been there, done that.
Factory original rebuilds always seem to work the best.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by 69ambo 69ambo wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my 69 Ambassador! Everything is new bench bled master cylinder eliminated the pressure diff. valve and still no fluid anywhere. PM me when you get yours working cause I have ran out of things to try!

Make sure there is clearance  - meaning that the pedal rod isn't pushing on the master cylinder piston and if power brakes, adjust the rod so that the master cylinder piston can come back FULLY.
Too often lack of fluid out the lines when bleeding is because the master cylinder was replaced and there's just enough difference and no one adjusts the rod to ensure that the master's piston can FULLY come back with a tad bit of clearance. 
If the rod is pushing the piston forward at all, it can cause a ton of bleeding trouble.
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 6:36am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by 69ambo 69ambo wrote:

Make sure there is clearance  - meaning that the pedal rod isn't pushing on the master cylinder piston and if power brakes, adjust the rod so that the master cylinder piston can come back FULLY.
Too often lack of fluid out the lines when bleeding is because the master cylinder was replaced and there's just enough difference and no one adjusts the rod to ensure that the master's piston can FULLY come back with a tad bit of clearance. 
If the rod is pushing the piston forward at all, it can cause a ton of bleeding trouble.

According to the TSM, the rod isn't adjustable on the 77.
1971 SC360
1973 Ambassador Sedan 360
1973 Hornet X 360
1973 Javelin AMC 401
1975 Sportabout X 258
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic