TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam,, Voodoo or somthing else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 3:45am
He's the Cam Whisperer LOL

Many manufacturers have a "Lobe List" that shows all their lobe specs,
I don't know if he has copys of most of the cam companies lists or not but everything I've seen him post so far seems spot on Clap
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 8:03am
I like that - "Cam Whisperer". I have a horse too, but it won't listen whether I whisper or yell at it.

I've got all of the off the shelf AMC hydraulic flat tappet cams rolled into a spreadsheet does a bunch of calculations and helps you narrow down the list to just the stuff that would be reasonable for your application. Here's the thread: 

This is actually what I do for a living, and have for 25 years. I'm a mechanical engineer, working as an application engineer for a company that applies process control equipment to systems in power plants, refineries, chemical plants, etc. Part of my role is to develop spreadsheets, databases, apps, and other tools to help the other application engineers be more effective.

The camshaft spreadsheet isn't a perfect system by any means, but it will keep you out of the weeds when picking a cam. I've started on a new version that's more flexible and will let you enter cams not on the list. But if you think about it, probably more than 95% of AMC engines with hydraulic flat tappet cams are using an off the shelf catalog grind, not something custom ground. 
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic