TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Got a fuel sender that works...but

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got a fuel sender that works...but
    Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 6:30am
It’d been 4 years of keeping up with last time I filled up vs how many miles driven since then at about 12 miles to a gallon.
American depot has/had remanufactured sending units for the 73 Gremlin.
The gauge works...the seal doesn’t...I lost about 6 gallons in the parking lot at work tigons out.

So, is there a trick to put these in an ensure it’s sealed?
I’m leaning toward fuel resistant gasket sealer.
I installed it dry cause I assumed it was a pressure seal
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 8:06am
Should work dry if... The seal is thick enough. I think it is twice as thick as a parts counter roll of gasket material.

You can use 3M gasket maker and rubber seal adhesive, but stay away from silicone, had a tank done with it and some of it ended up intermittently clogged at the pickup.

Just rub a thin film along the bottom of the seal and place into position on the tank. Then install the sending unit. The seal should be thick enough to cause some need for extra pressure when rotating to the locked in position. You locking tabs my have been knocked out of adjustment when removing the old one. So re-bending into place may be required for snug seal.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 12:38pm
Yesterday, pulled the 68 AMX tank out of the shed to install it. The ring mounting rubber gasket at the opening to the tank is stuck in place pretty good. Didn't want to disturb it unless vendors sell them. The  only rubber gasket for the sending unit to tank flange I could find is a "O" ring type. What type of seal does the Gremlin use? I will use 3M gasket maker as 304-dude suggested if I can't locate a new flat rubber gasket like what I believe to be the original gasket that is on the tank now.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 8:06pm
I can't speak to the Gremlin but the AMX/Javelin seal is a round rubber 'O'-ring.
Mike
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 10:04pm
Evidently after fifty years under compression the "O" ring goes flat. Also noticed there was no filter (sock). So purchased this eBay stainless fuel sending unit package from a seller who has received 5 of 5 positive reviews. Great price at $43.97.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic