TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Lug Bolt removal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:37pm
The factory swadged the wheel studs which reduced any knurl from the wheel stud protruding beyond the wheel hub. The wheel stud is smaller in diameter than the wheel stud holes in the rotor. AMC evidently never intended service departments to replace the rotor alone. This deduction insinuates the  common repair was to replace with a new rotor with new hub already swadged in place as a package from the parts department. Wish we could turn the clock back to 1968 and walk into a AMC parts department and inquire.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 3:40pm
May be a silly question but,

has anyone had success taking a drum brake spindle hub and mating it with a slip on rotor?

It may take machining of the outside of the hub and possibly the center also, but then you would have cheaper, easily replaced rotors.

I would imagine only a place with a large inventory of brake parts could make this sort of match.
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 5:28pm
Well I have finally removed my lug studs. I bought a 13/16' Slugger bit from Amazon. Haven't got my new rotors yet so don't know how everything will go back together.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 11:58am
Trader,
I removed the drum from a 62 six assembly. Knocked studs out and took the hub to a local NAPA and had it turned down to fit a Previa disc (scarebird conversion). My partner in crime found a dril bit sized  for the new studs (don't remember size) and installed them.  We used slotted mags with the uni-lug pattern .
They are a pain to remove and install but my partner had them in the garage for about 30 years and never used them. He bought them cheap.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic