TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Big Nut Axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Nut Axle
    Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 10:03am
Hi! Anybody got a idea where to find a pinion seal for this? Car is a '64 American Wagon. OR anything that would work? Just need to stop it from marking it's territory. Thanks in advance.

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2018 at 2:10am
Apparently available at Kennedy American, but pricey. Nobody makes them anymore. See the bottom of page 1 of this discussion for part numbers. Good luck!

http://theamcforum.com/forum/model15-twin-grip-pinion-seal_topic72648.html
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2018 at 9:07pm
The only other thing to do is get creative. If the dust shield is still on the nut take it off. It's just crimped on lightly, and most of the time missing. Then it gets fun. You would need to find a seal that will fit good over the pinion shaft, then get a piece of tubing to fit the outside diameter. Another piece of tubing will be needed to fit the ID of the diff, or OD of the old seal. Then you need to fill in the gap. You also need to make sure the seal clears the pinion nut, it sticks out a bit from the housing. Nothing any machine shop couldn't do, but in the end I bet the same cost (or more) as the seal from Kennedy (last reported as $65). If that is an NOS seal, spray it good with silicone (not WD-40 or something like that, make sure it is just silicone), or wipe well with a liquid silicone lube. That should rejuvenate it enough to last a while. The good things about making an adapter are you get a newly manufactured seal, not a 10-20+ year old one, and if it ever needs replacing again (it really shouldn't...) you can get a cheap new seal.
Frank Swygert
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2018 at 10:05am
Thanks guys! Guess I'll get in touch with Kennedy, while I try to design something along the lines of Franks suggestions. I wonder if after I get all the measurements my buddy at the exhaust shop could build something. I think I can come up with something
Thanks again.....

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2018 at 10:15am
I think I'd start with exhaust tubing, then go to thin wall DOM if nothing fits snug. The real issue is the seal must be exactly centered. Too much run-out and it will always leak a little. 
Frank Swygert
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2018 at 10:40am
Thought with that pipe expander machine we could adjust the pipe to fit. Start with finding a seal that will work and go backwards from there to the housing. I have two of these so once I get one right I'll try building a couple extras for future use..... But need to keep this one mobile, though NO POWER, (Flat head), I still use it to haul small items.....

Perk
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 7:43am
Silicone is good but there are some formulations that will deteriorate some seal materials. If you use it, read the label and ensure that it states rubber, plastics ... compatible.
For older seals I find Vaseline the a good assembly lube. It's already petroleum based.
Just my preference if the seal material is unknown. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 11:20pm
i was lucky enough that mine never leaked, when i pulled it out and replaced with a Mustang axle. though i haven't done this, my plan was to find a seal that fit the shaft and not worry about the housing portion.

then pull the old bushing and not damage the press-in part. chop the protruding part off. cut a disc of thin steel (20 ga) to overlap the chopped insert, but plenty of clearance of the shaft. just tack weld the disc to the insert.

slip the new seal over this. will seal but not be attached to the steel you've placed over the insert. using Permatex High Strength Ultra Gray (ONLY!) to attach the seal to the steel crap.

it doesn't require a lot of strength there. as long as the seal is concentric on the shaft (slipped on and assembled in place, it will be) square enough (it will likely be) there's simply not a lot of rotational force on it. and that very particular silicone is very strong. BRAND NAME ONLY!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic