TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Seal Leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seal Leak?
    Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 6:04pm
Trying to determine if I have a rear main seal leak or if the front seal on my T-10 is leaking. Judging by the color of the oil (I can't smell anything) I'm thinking transmission seal. I am also getting the fluid coming out of the rubber boot on the throw out lever? Thoughts?

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 6:45pm
Oil on the clutch fork probably means a transmission leak, but it's not hard to narrow it down to rear engine seal, or front trans seal.

Can you remove the bottom plate on the bell housing ?
 If you can look around to the front side of the flywheel and see if you can see oil.

Oil leaking out the rear main seal will get slung off the flywheel and also end up in the bell housing .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 10:24am
I'll take a look at that. Never thought of pulling the cover....

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 7:48pm
That cover is going to be a pain to get off. Starter needs to come off - which means the header needs to come off, and then the clutch pedal bracket on the other side.... Anyone have a recommendation on a good seal leak conditioner for a T10??
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 6:40am
If the oil is coming from the front cover you can bet it's either the rear main oil seal on the engine or possibly the front seal on the trans. The leaking will reduce as oil level goes down in the trans to almost nothing. A rear main seal will leak about the same all the time because the oil is under pressure. Watch your engine oil level to see if that's what it is. I suspect you have a rear main leak, the front tranny seal won't leak a whole lot unless the bearing retainer is cracked.
Frank Swygert
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 6:03pm
Pretty sure it was transmission leak. When I checked the fluid level it was down about 50ml and I had just topped it off earlier this summer. I bought some AT 205 conditioner and put about 2/3 of the bottle in the tranny. Hard to say if its helped the front seal but within 50 miles or so my rear seal went bad - real bad... Don't know it was coincidence or related to the AT-205? Rear leaks so bad I have to replace it now - it did not leak at all prior to adding the conditioner.....???

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 7:20am
If the seal is in really bad shape, like about to go anyway, the conditioner CAN soften it and cause it to leak more. It's rather rare, but most people use that stuff on much newer cars and/or are driven a lot more than our older ones. No telling how old it is. At least it's the rear seal, which is reasonably easy to change. 
Frank Swygert
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 7:09pm
After getting pointed to the correct rear seal here I got that all done. Now I’m just back to the front leaking.....🙄
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic