TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 AMC Carburetor Interchange, PLEASE HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad2192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 6:37pm
Thank you everyone for the help. I'd definitely like to try the YF but it looks like some of the ports are different.  I'm glad I joined this forum, relieved that everyone is so helpful! I've got the original service manual and even advertisement material from the dealership in MINT condition. I think I'm going to buy that rebuild kit and give it a go, it also looks like the "NOS Carter RBS" is a good start on eBay, looks identical to mine. If anyone has any more ideas please do share! And thanks again, seriously.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

What about a Carter YF from a later 232? I really like the YF. I know the RBS used on the 199 was tiny and I don't know if the 232 RBS was any bigger, but the YF is a decent flowing carb for a 1bbl. My 232 is quite happy with it's YF. 

Rochester Monojet? LOL
Believe it or not I once worked on a 1975 Jeep, had the prestolite ignition, and All of it had problems, and it also had the Rochester monojet on it. Thats when I learned that a monojet will fit in place of a YF. At the time, no one had a good YF...To put on the 232.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 5:55pm
The ports on the carburetor is not a big deal. The big deal is the throttle linkage. I think AMC started using the YF around 1971 or 72. Id have to look in the TSMs
Brad2192 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad2192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 9:09pm
Thank you very much everyone. I wound up getting a BRAND NEW O-1756 for $150 off of eBay! Now, all I need is a new gas tank that I still can't seem to find unfortunately, anyone have any leads on what sites to look at? I tried all of the AMC sites as well as eBay..

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Brad2192 Brad2192 wrote:

Hey everyone, new to the forums. Just picked up a 1967 AMC Rebel with a 232 in it. I am wondering what carburetors fit on the 232 even if it needs an adapter plate. I can't seem to find anything out there. It's a Carter RBS O-1756. Many RBS's look extremely similar but I am not sure if they'll work. I don't have time to be messing around with a rebuild kit nor do I want to ship out my original. But, I couldn't find any documentation on interchanges or compatibility. Thank you in advance for your help.
Contact All State Carburetor in Central islip N.Y. (Or Google it)They rebuild any type of carb
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 2:13am
I think $150 for the correct NOS carburetor for your car is awesome. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 6:20am
You will likely have to find a gas tank that is close and possibly modify it. Many use the early Mustang tank as a "universal", but it's only like 16 gallons. It was designed to be the trunk floor, but many mount it with straps under the floor like the stock tank. The big problem is the filler isn't in the right place for the Rebel. Tanks Inc (http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm) has bolt-on filler necks, but a welding shop won't have a problem welding a neck on a new, unused tank. When you go and ask " I have a brand new, never had gas in it tank" should be the first words out of your mouth though! Take the old one with you as well and tell them you need a neck in the same place.. or where it will fit in the car since the new tank might be a bit different shape. Tanks Inc has many tanks, so you might send them a couple photos and measurements and get a close match. Your car uses the same type fuel gauge as early 60s Fords, so a n early Mustang sending unit will work fine.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic