TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Instrument Cluster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amx440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin Instrument Cluster
    Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 8:24pm
Can someone tell me what this is in the photo and what I have to do to get one or fix mine? This is not on mine yet all I see seem to have it. I just have pins coming out.

Item circled in pics.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1s4qr07amyg132/70_instclust1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue4f7427ai1cc5d/70_instclust2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4bgp1uuklbg8fq/70_instclust3.jpg?dl=0

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 8:13am
The part you have circled is a noise suppression choke. It is there to filter switching noise from the IVR which you might hear on the radio. Some clusters had this choke, and some had a simple wire shunt, but all had something, otherwise the fuel and temp gauges wouldn't work.

There were no flying leads on the cluster from the factory. All the connections are made at the circular plug, plus the yellow and blue wires for the tach. It looks to me like someone was attempting to bypass the choke (maybe there was a broken wire on it). At the very least, you need to wire together the two posts for this part. That will get you power to the IVR. Or you could post a wanted ad for the choke. Someone on this site will have a spare.

The empty bulb hole you point to is for the "PARK" light. This was unused in the 68/68 Javelin/AMX. You can see the tape residue in the first picture where they covered over the hole. The same cluster was used in the Ambo of those years, and I assume the PARK light was functional. I don't know if the 70 Javelin/AMX used this function.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 1:14pm
pm sent

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 2:56pm
The PARK light was functional on AMXs and Javelins if they were equipped with the Light Group option. 67 and 68 Rebels and Ambassadors and some later Matadors also used the same basic instrument cluster: 120 speedo and temp / fuel gauges but the lens and dial graphics were different between the models. Functionally they're interchangeable.
The noise choke MAY not have been on the cluster if the car did not come with a factory installed radio.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 5:42pm
What does the Light Group consist of? I thought is was courtesy lamps and glove box light, both of which my Javelin has, but the PARK light is covered over.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 7:15pm
On the AMX the light group included the trunk light, glove box light, parking brake warning light ( used a flasher bulb ) and a lights on buzzer. Code on order form was LG. The courtesy lights were standard.
On the Javelins the light group included the courtesy lights.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic