TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 Flathead Wrong Carb or Dist.?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 Flathead Wrong Carb or Dist.?
    Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 4:17pm
Hello new to this forum, but I imagine I'll spending some time with Y'all.
Anyway I've got a 1960 American Super with the 196 Flathead. The engine runs great, with the exception of timing advance? Its got a vacuum advance dizzy, but no port on the Carter YF carb for the advance?
I'm assuming 1 of the 2 isn't correct? I've searched for this topic with no success. Any help would be appreciated. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 11:00pm
welcome! you;re in the right place for sure.

you can pull vacuum from the manifold, but i suspect there is a port on the YF somewhere. though maybe tyhat's the wrong carb (a lot can happen in 60 years...)

youl would do well to find a copy of the factory Technical Service Manual for that car -- they are completely unlike the craptacular Haynes manuals. it will have precise information with excellent drawings and is specific to the model year down to the smallest details -- right where generic manuals fail.

58. 59, 60 are more or less the same, with relatively minor per-year changes. i've managed to collect about 2/3rds of the TSMs AMC put out, especially when i find a cheap one. here's a '58 for a reasonable price:

and a search of "rambler service manual" on that site alone pulls up a lot of copies (hmm, including a few i'd like to have :-)

abebooks.com searches used book stores. it's great.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 6:56am
There is a port on the cast iron throttle shaft/blade section of the carb. It should be on the passenger side of the carb, right next to the accelerator pump linkage. It would be a threaded hole. Originally a metal line went from the carb to the vac can on the dizzy. It's fine if replaced with a rubber line. You can get a short brake line and bend it around, cut one end off and connect to dizzy with a rubber line if you want, or use a hard line all the way.  The 58 TSM doesn't show this well. There is no 59 or 60 TSM for the American, the 58 was used for all 58-60 models. The 61 American TSM has more photos and the port can be clearly seen in a couple of them (illustrating connecting the accel pump link).
Frank Swygert
Wpig View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 3:12pm
Ok, Thanks farna & tomj. I obviously have the wrong carb. My YF has no accelerator pump or port on the cast iron throttle body/tube. I definitely need to purchase the manuals to move forward. Again thanks guys!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2018 at 6:51am
No port with a plug in it maybe? The 58 TSM doesn't show where the vac line goes. If there is a port on the head near the carb with a plug I'd try that before changing the carb if it otherwise runs okay. Small plugs should be vacuum, but pull it and turn the engine over (I wouldn't start -- pull coil wire) to check. Wouldn't want to put water in the dizzy!
Frank Swygert
Wpig View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2018 at 9:11am
There is a for sure Vac port on the head that goes directly to the wipers. I guess i could T off of it and try?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2018 at 7:53am
That should be fine. There may be a similar plugged port on the opposite end of the head. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic