TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lug spacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lug spacing
    Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 3:38pm
can anyone confirm that the 74 amx has a 5 x 4 1/2 spacing?  and what size and thread are the lug studs?

thanks Barney
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 4:17pm
Yes, 5 on 4 1/2 with 1/2-20 threads.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 4:36pm
Thanks tom...
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 5:41pm
It's also 5x114.3 if looking at the so called metric rims.
Depending on center bore and offset - Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler are interchangeable.
With the right type of spacer, the world of rims goes wide open.
That stated, this may change suspension dynamics, but a 1.5" spacer with a 1.5" offset rim means 0" offset for suspension.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 5:52pm
Problem with stock studs are that hey are about .500 too short for modern Aluminium wheels. They are only good for steel rims or long shank mag lug nuts.

You could change out the studs with 2000 Jeep, which are about 2.0 inch length, or 1.72 from end of knurl. Not sure which stud year and make but there Is a 2.2" stud as well.

PS, some metric wheels require factory metric lug nuts as they are wider and deeper at the bulge or shank that holds the wheel within the holes.

I found GM S10 1/2" lug nuts perfect for metric acorn style rims. They are beefy and accept 7/8" wrench.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/16/2018 at 5:56pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 8:21pm
Saved on-hand info about AMC Rim Wheel Center Hole / Bore & Hub Diameter...
There's Lug-Centric style rims and then there's Hub-Centric style rims...

>   AMC CTR Hub Hole Dia = 2.815/2.830 I.D measured 1969 stock steel magnums
> Moser CTR Hub Axle Dia = 2.815 O.D measured on replacement 1-piece Moser Axles
>  Ford CTR Hub Hole Dia = 2.785 O.D. per a forum post ????
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 6:48am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Problem with stock studs are that hey are about .500 too short for modern Aluminium wheels. They are only good for steel rims or long shank mag lug nuts.

304-dude,  I respectfully have to say that this info you have given is incorrect.  The stock studs are not to short for current aftermarket wheels and i have had no issues while using the correct bulge lug nuts with the studs being too short on my AMX.  The only time that you will start having the issues as you claim is when you use or require a spacer between the wheel and the rotor or drum assembly and then you will have issues that may require longer studs. Aftermarket wheels companies are not going to build a wheel that the center assembly is too thick that it fits only one car and or that will require modifications too fit another. They have engineers smarter than that.      
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

304-dude,  I respectfully have to say that this info you have given is incorrect.  The stock studs are not to short for current aftermarket wheels and i have had no issues while using the correct bulge lug nuts with the studs being too short on my AMX.  The only time that you will start having the issues as you claim is when you use or require a spacer between the wheel and the rotor or drum assembly and then you will have issues that may require longer studs. Aftermarket wheels companies are not going to build a wheel that the center assembly is too thick that it fits only one car and or that will require modifications too fit another. They have engineers smarter than that.      

OK, just stating not all wheels have the same thickness between bulge seat and hub flange.

I should have stated that, in stead of making a flat out remark. Though my comment was on the option for other make wheels, as my experience with aluminum wheels have been one sided on late / modern oem spec wheels.

Perhaps wheels made to fit AMC will be just fine across the board.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 7:19am
Should correct my post; don't use spacers ever. In fact they are not legal in some jurisdictions.
5x4-1/2" x 5x4-1/2" bolt on adapters (also called spacers) is what I have used. No long studs or modification to factory axle.
More money but way safer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic