TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

valve cover 258 - amc same jeep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebeljimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: valve cover 258 - amc same jeep?
    Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 3:20pm
hey all - most of my amc are big cars, but have an 81 concord with a cracked and leaking plastic valve cover. would an aluminum one off any old 258 jeep in a junkyard do the trick or are they different animals?
thanks, don't know much about the straight sixes or the jeeps, i assume they are same but thought i would ask here before calling the salvage yard.
thanks all
barry 
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 10:45pm
hi, factory aluminum jeep valve covers will not work on an 81, but, aftermarket aluminum covers WILL work, available from most Jeep places or Sumitt, about $100. I have two, they are nice, look for 81-86 AMC/Jeep aluminum valve covers. good luck, gz
george z
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 5:58am
They changed the bolt pattern for the valve cover on the later heads with aluminum covers. You'd have to swap the entire head to use the factory Jeep cover. George (amcfool1) is steering you in the right direction! Note that 87+ Jeep 258s use a slightly wider block and head, you may have to fill the triangular holes in the water jacket on the right edge to use on an earlier 258, just like you do with a 4.0L head.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 8:52am
I am very interested in this thread.

Getting ready to pull the 258 out of a 83 Concord for my 69 American project. I am not to keen on the plastic valve cover. Looks as if there are only to bolts holding it on in the center.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 10:24am

This is my 69 wagon
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
turbobuick1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbobuick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 6:16pm
Very clean inline!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I am very interested in this thread.

Getting ready to pull the 258 out of a 83 Concord for my 69 American project. I am not to keen on the plastic valve cover. Looks as if there are only to bolts holding it on in the center.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie - beware that there are no set rules on these covers.
Yeah, the plastic cover was held in by the center and little nipples that went into holes where the normal bolt holes would be.
And I was told those holes in the head would not be threaded when I swapped covers on my 82 and I would have to tap the holes, etc. etc. etc, to be able to bolt a valve cover on the normal way -
LOL - nope, the aluminum after-market cover bolted right on. I think I had to tap ONE single hole but it may have just been cruddy, I can't recall exactly now, other than I remember all of the stuff I was told all those years ago wasn't exactly as they said it would be on MY 1982 258
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 10:44pm
hi, some later, ie 83+ heads may already be tapped, but on the pass side only. The problem side is the drivers side where if you drill too deep you may hit water. If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks, the best 81-86 aluminum valve cover is from PML, at www.yourcovers.com. part # 8656. It is a real "bolt on", no need to drill/tap the drivers side, and comes with a neat screw in, O-ringed oil fill cap. Made in the USA!  good luck, gz
george z
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 6:59am
BIG THANKS to Bill & George !!!

You guys are getting me on the correct track. I have done no more than look under the hood of the Concord at the 258.

This project is fixing to kick off big time if it ever cools down a bit. I hope this present heat wave is the last. I know it will be cooler after Cordova.

By the way Bill, did you ever have a chance to look for the 6 cyl headers you may have? I know u have a lot going on.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic